how to remove stickers

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, I just got a 20 year old boat with the regisration number that is impossible to remove. they have been on it for 20 years. any one have good idea on how to remove them?

jaxnjil

Lieutenant
Re: how to remove stickers

heat gun on low and plastic windshield scraper
then a micro fiber cloth and a film of W-D 40 to finish if any glue residue is left

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

heat, no more than nessary. if yor boat is glass use a heat shield,aluminum foi. take your timel

thedukeryan

Petty Officer 1st Class

How about razors? Anyone tried razor scrapers? I use them all the time for other stuff but have not tried them on a boat. I have used wd40, lighter fluid, gas etc... To remove residue.

Overnighter20

Seaman Apprentice

Hi guys, 1st post here. I read alot, but just got around to registering a few days ago. Anyway, had to chime in on this one because I just finished redoing all the original graphics, as well as registration numbers on my 83 Grady White Overnighter that I'm restoring. I tried everything, including the eraser wheels (which will certainly dig trenches in fiberglass if you aren't extremely careful). Heres what worked for me, a blow dryer on low and a putty knife, mine is 1 1/2" wide, and metal. Heat the lettering, stripes, etc,, and start working the edges up, all the while keeping the fiberglass warm, but not blowing heat directly on the letters your working, makes them tear up more if they get too warm. Pull at a 90 degree angle to the surface as much as possible to prevent some of the ripping. Have patience, it really goes fairly quickly. The old glue residue removes easily with acetone. I then compounded the glass good with 3M rolishing compound and my 10" polisher until all traces of the old graphics were gone, then again wiped her down good with acetone, installed new graphics, and waxed her down good with Collonite 925. I'm sure there are other ways, but this system did wonders for my 26 year old hull, and it was starting to oxidize fairly bad.

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

What Overnighter said. Exactly.

If no acetone handy, try nail-polish-remover or Goof-Off. Same thing.

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't have a heat gun at home, so i use my hydrogen lamp which can produce some heat. after putting close to the sticker for a min, I try to remove the sticker and it came off very easy. Thanks all you guys for your inputs.

Overnighter20

Seaman Apprentice

no problem pard, glad to be able to help someone here, kinda payback for some of the great info I've gotten from this site.

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

For anybody that has this problem, Use a hair dryer to remove the sticker, should heat enough to pull it off. then use alcohol to remove glue. don't use heat gun ,it will melt clearcoat. A little elbow grease and alcohol will work. then a little wax will bring back gloss.