TILT Problem again

longstand

Petty Officer 1st Class
Jezzz.. iam having problem with tilt again.. i just barely got the new tilt motor to bring up the sterndrive and its not working anymore. again. ARGG

I have put all the ELBOW. the Riser. Exhaust manifold. but i made sure the TIlt was working. before i put everything back..

this is what i have been testing..

I have twin engine.. i connected both the ground from both engine. i made sure i grind all the metal so it will be shiny to get good contact. which mean i have good ground..

I made sure the TiLT wire is shiny to get good contact.. i replace the fuse so i know its getting electricity to the solenoid to power the tilt and the TRIM. and also check if there is 12V power into the solenoid for the trim and tilt to work and there is power..

i trim up and down it work.. i TIlt UP or DOWN. just Click.

so i try something new.. weird one too..

i remove the main ground which connected both engine to the battery negative. i got a jumper cable and connected the negatve from the battery to the TILT ground. and it work. but. if i connected both engine ground the tilt will not move even if the jumper cable is connected directly from the battery to the tilt Ground it self..

this tilt is the only thing is holding me back.. everthing els is finish. the carburator. everything. i even finish painting the engine so it will not rush..

iam lost.. I need expert advise..

Note...
I grind every terminal shiny.
I pack the Clutch and worm gear with Greese.
I made sure i have gasket so the clutch has room for play and not get stock..
Battery is FULLY CHARGE. almost 13 VOLT really really charge..

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: TILT Problem again

Why are you packing clutch with grease when it calls for oil? You are just creating extra drag on entire system. 'nutcase

longstand

Petty Officer 1st Class

Howard and everyone els told me to. they said it will help..

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

iam lost.. I need expert advise..

you really don't -
what you need is a basic electrical course where they teach you how to do voltage drops with a meter. maybe there's something on youtube.

If one goes back through the 3 or 4 threads you have started on this topic, there are so many contradictory statements that makes anyone's advice a repeat of the same advice already given

Howard and everyone els told me to. they said it will help..

nope, I never told you that

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

If one goes back through the 3 or 4 threads you have started on this topic, there are so many contradictory statements that makes anyone's advice a repeat of the same advice already given

Your are correct sir. Asked and answered...

Note...
I grind every terminal shiny.
I pack the Clutch and worm gear with Greese.
I made sure i have gasket so the clutch has room for play and not get stock..
Battery is FULLY CHARGE. almost 13 VOLT really really charge..

I did all of that too. I had to adjust the clutch tension bolt to get the tilt to come up. It's an allen bolt in the END of the clutch shaft, behind the plastic plug at the end of the starboard end of the clutch shaft. MESS WITH IT AT YOUR OWN RISK. If you get it too tight, and hit a submerged object, your stern drive won't pop up and you might just tear the whole transom out of your boat...that clutch is there to save your bacon. Monkey with it might make the tilt work, or it might create a dangerous situation that could kill someone.

longstand

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did all of that too. I had to adjust the clutch tension bolt to get the tilt to come up. It's an allen bolt in the END of the clutch shaft, behind the plastic plug at the end of the starboard end of the clutch shaft. MESS WITH IT AT YOUR OWN RISK. If you get it too tight, and hit a submerged object, your stern drive won't pop up and you might just tear the whole transom out of your boat...that clutch is there to save your bacon. Monkey with it might make the tilt work, or it might create a dangerous situation that could kill someone.

I found it.. weird thougth.. my other tilt clutch dont have the adjustment. and the other have it.. .

well i did i adjust it.. i even adjust it where i could actually move the sterndrive freely. and it still go up really slow.

Fully charge battery..

also just to make sure than i install the tilt motor correctly and its not BIDING with the Hammer blow.. i remove the CAP where the WORM gear shaft is connected very carefully so i dont accident full out the shaft and remove the Nylon washer inside where the motor is connected to the shaft.

i spin the shaft with a pliers while the worm is remove.. it spin nicely. with no problem.. but with little bit of load of the sterndrive it hardly move..

arggg

cant figure this out..

WizeOne

Commander

Get a manual, check the torque output of the tilt motor!

longstand

Petty Officer 1st Class

Get a manual, check the torque output of the tilt motor!

i have read the test on the motor. but no torgue tools todo the job.. but i will see if a shop could do it for me

longstand

Petty Officer 1st Class

just wanted to update to whoever is interested..

Well remember when i said i had check the battery if it was fully charge. it was not charge

. both battery is connected together. so i was reading the volts incorrectly. one battery has only 10V. while the other battery has about 12.6V. seens both batter is connected when i tested the battery i was reading about 12.3v.

i tested the tilt motor using a brand new battery i have purchase for my car and the tilt go up fast and goes down fast.

iam going to try to test the battery if it still holding charge. i will refill the battery acid with Distiled water and charge both of overnigth using slow charge. and i will see what happen from here..

longstand

Petty Officer 1st Class

follow-up

The battery is fully charge. i test both battery separate and its fully charge..

i brush the terminal shiny.

the tilt motor still don't go up or down.

i think there is electrical problem its not mechanical anymore.

reason why i think its electrical is because when i power the tilt motor directly from the tilt motor wire to the battery negative and positive.. the motor work perfect. perfect.

but when i use the engine block as a negative and connect the tilt motor wire to the solenoid it don't work at all. even if i connected positive charge directly to the positive side of the solenoid directly from the fresh new battery. still nothing..

any advice?? because i want to use this boat soon. and iam afraid i need to hired someone to fix this..

any advice of where to search

WizeOne

Commander

Exactly what happens when you hit the tilt switch?

WizeOne

Commander

"reason why i think its electrical is because when i power the tilt motor directly from the tilt motor wire to the battery negative and positive.. the motor work perfect. perfect."

Is this with the motor installed? Is this trying to operate the tilt in one direction only? If so, try switching solenoids and see if it goes. Solenoids do go bad.

longstand

Petty Officer 1st Class

i will try to switch Solenoid today and i will see if that makes any differents

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

How about cleaning the engine grounds up really good too?