Help winterizing a Mercury 4 cy. 120 HP I/O

buck74

Recruit
I need help with winterizing my mercury. I think that I have a 1984 model boat, I/O mercruiser. I know the engine is a 4 cylinder mercury, I believe it is 120 HP, 2.5L.

I have two 7/16" brass plugs on the exhaust manifold, one low, and one high. There also looks like a pepcock on the block just below the lower brass plug on the manifold. I took out the lower brass plug, and the water ran out of the exhaust manifold. I was told to put it back in, take out the top brass plug, then take the top hose off of the water pump, and fill with the pink antifreeze until it runs out the top plug hole. Then put the top plug back in. Is this correct?

What about the pepcock, I assume this also needs to be drained. Which way to I turn it (I assume to the left) to open it? How far am I suppose to turn it ? 1/4 turn perhaps. Are there any more of these on the block than the one under the exhaust manifold? If so where are they? Do I leave it open all winter, or close it after the water drains out?

What about the lower unit does it need to be drained? I have read the oil should be drained. If so where is the plug, and how is it refilled? How do I know how much? I am guessing this is 90 weight gear lube, of lower unit lube. Do i wait and refill it in the spring, or fill it now before winter?

Also (sorry) I was told to remove each spark plug and put in 4 ounces of marvel oil. Now I am reading about fogging the motor, but I already have it in my garage. Is the marvel oil treatment good enough? Should I remove the coil wire and turn the engine over a couple of times after putting the marvel oil in the cylinders and re-installing the spark plugs?

Any other advice you can give me would be great.
Thank you. Frank

fuzzybob

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Help winterizing a Mercury 4 cy. 120 HP I/O

Hello Frank,

The best advice I could give you would be to go to the top of the forum and click on the "Adults Only" sticky. Once in there you will find a gold mine of info on a ton of topics including winterizing. You'll also be able to download the factory OEM manual for your engine and outdrive.... All for FREE!!!!! Good luck and welcome to iboats.

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Help winterizing a Mercury 4 cy. 120 HP I/O

if your pepcock is the one with the butterfly wings on it will rotate anti-clockwise to drain the water and the thread should go in all the way to the brass fitting itself.sometimes they start to seize so removing it completely and running some copper slip on thread eases it up for following seasons.if you wish to add antifreeze obviously all will need to be closed again but remember air cannot freeze so pulling your bottom waterpump pipe off too will make sure no liquids about.