Tire and rim swap

Marpet

Cadet
I am getting rid of my '96 Winstar (scrap), have checked the bolt pattern and load ratings etc, and everything looks fine. Can I put the van tires and rims on the trailer? The van tires are almost new and I need to replace the trailer tires. As I said, the bolt pattern is then same, rim size is the same (although trailer is narrower), van tires load rating is #1490 lbs which is more than the trailer tires (undersized). My only concern is the fenders. It looks like the wheel will fill the fender right up.
Am I missing something?

Gord

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Tire and rim swap

Short of getting into a huge debate, Yes and No.

Yes you can and it will do just fine as long as they are not over loaded.

No you should really have trailer tires on the trailer.

Now have I personally done it? You bet I have.
Do I have trailer tires on the trailer right now? yes i do.

If money is short and thats all you have then go for it. Just remember they are not trailer tires.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

If money is short and thats all you have then go for it. Just remember they are not trailer tires.

pretty much it right there. when i got my boat, the trailer had LT tires on it. I ran it that way for 3 seasons. the LT tires actually fit better in the wheelwells than the ST tires do. it can be done, but you should have trailer tires. If it means breaking the bank, than no it doesnt have to have trailer tires. maybe upgrade after a season or so if you can.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I agree here...

I have 7 trailers total around my place. Camper, Boat, Pressure Washer Rig, 1 6X14 Enclosed, 1 Car Hauler, 16' Flatbed and a 5x8 Utility...

Keeping up with all of them, and some I tow almost everyday, gets really expensive with ST tires, especially when picking up nails, screws, etc...

So, I do use LT tires (used in good condition) on the lighter, less used ones when I can. The Camper will always get ST tires, but the others can get car/LT tires from time to time...