Merc 50 HP brown band, no spark

mattmann1972

Seaman Apprentice
Hi guys, i picked up a cheap speedboat with this engine on the back. The guy who sold me it said there was a fuel problem however since getting it back home there is no spark. I have read that there is a tilt switch however i can't find it, do the brown bands have one?

Re: Merc 50 HP brown band, no spark

Give the serial number of your motor, you might get some response then. I can't help other than that, sorry.

mattmann1972

Seaman Apprentice

1017-8359 is what i see on the cylinder head.

I'm drawn to perhaps there is a kill switch stopping it fire. It has quicksilver controls and at the front edge of this is a plug that looks like something should be plugged in perhaps for a cut off switch, in the back of this plug are 4 wires going into it, brown, grey, black and purple. The black and purple ones join onto the back of the key ignition. Should i perhaps join some of these wires together?

Ken G

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The connection point at the front of the control unit is where a tachometer plugs in. I wouldn't start connecting the wires unless you want to release the smoke from the wires.

Your serial number is on a small plate riveted to the tilt tube. The serial number is vital to diagnosing problems and especially ordering parts as that is the only way to determine the year of manufacture. The "Brown Bands" I believe came out in the '80s but that isn't accurate enough and someone could have replaced a "Blue Band" wrap with a brown wrap.

The Mercury (as in Hg not the manufacturer) switch should be mounted on the block. I can't remember exactly where as my Merc has been parked for a few years and its not at the house. It will have a wire (possibly orange, again depends on the year) connecting it to the switch box and the engine harness.

Disconnect the orange wire from the switch box. If you get spark at the plugs with this wire disconnected you have a problem with your ignition switch or your kill circuit. If you have no spark with it disconnected you have to troubleshoot the rest of the ignition system.

Once you find the serial number and determine the model year I'd recommend getting a shop manual for the motor. Everyone recommends the OEM manuals but the aftermarket manuals are better than nothing and can sometimes be found at the library.

mattmann1972

Seaman Apprentice

Hi, the serial number on the riveted plate is:

Cheers

Matt