Newbie Researching Boats

timmyjoebob

Seaman
Hi Y'all... I've been lurking a couple of days looking around the forum and trying to learn as much as I can.

I'm looking to buy a boat this winter to use in fresh water and salt water. It's just my wife and I. I don't fish (but will probably pick it up) but we both love the water and want to be on it. Bow riders, deck boats, DC fishing boats look good. I've been looking at a Key West 1720 DC... any thoughts?

I'm looking for a boat suitable, not too large (around 17' - 20', in fact I'd like to keep the whole rig under 2600 lbs), and keep it all under $9000 if possible. I've been looking and it seems possible.

I'll get flamed for this probably, but I've also heard that American-made outboards are like their counterparts - not as reliable as Japanese engines (i.e. Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, etc.). US-made used to have the market, but are losing it because of reliability-issues. True or False?

Lots of questions... lots to learn... thanks for your help!

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Newbie Researching Boats

Welcome to the boating world!!
The Key West is a nice boat.
As far as weight,,heavier the better as far as stability.
I am assuming you have a small vehicle to tow with.
I would not get anything smaller than a 18', you will outgrow it shortly.
American outboards are as good as imports,,for a while they were all interbread in some ways,,,merc verado's are great motors as well as other mercs.
Every outboard and or company have their problems and followers.

Philster

Captain

If you don't have anyone around that works on Yamahas, and you are surrounded by Mercury mechanics that can fix your little 2-stroke, simply-designed outboard with their eyes closed, guess what motor you should look for?

Knightgang

Lieutenant

That little KeyWest 1720 is a great little boat. My neighbor has one and I am partial to the Key West anyway.

If it is just you and the wife, the 1720 will be perfect. Very roomy for little boat. You will like it...

timmyjoebob

Seaman

I know it's recommended to use a surveyor when buying a boat. How many buyers actually use one? How much do they cost (depends on size, I know, but an estimate on an 18ft boat)? Jus' wunderin':redface:

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer

anywhere between $200-$400 for a boat that size,,your insurance may require it also.

I did not on my last 2 boats only because of darn near lifelong experience on sail and power boats,,,and boating on both coasts since 1991,,and in RI since 1985.

get it surveyed and sea trial it prior to purchase.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I have a 17' Key West dual console, 1988 first model year, I think. Great two person boat. I have a 70 OMC and that is plenty; I think I might be OK with a 55.
Mine is a relatively flat bottom and low freeboard--a "bay boat" design. Newer 17's I've seen have a deeper V and higher sides. Not sure which "yours" is. Mine is great for shallow water and inshore boating, and it is safe when it gets rough or in dealing with large ship wake. However, it can be a wet boat in the chop, and being flat, smacks you around like a whaler. I think the V would cure this. So when you try it out, be sure to run through some rough water--any boat does fine when it's smooth.
personally, I wouldn't hire a surveyor for an 18' boat--but I would hire an OB mechanic to look over the motor. That's what you're buying, especially with a reliable "no wood" hull like Key West (not so with a "sofa boat.")
BUT if it has a vent for the fuel tank outside the hull, have the mechanic check for water in the fuel and tank, and replace it ASAP with a self-venting fuel fill cap.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I do not think the 1720 DC design has changed. Several years ago, KW came out with the 18' DC boat. That one has a deeper V, taller gunnels and is an overall larger boat... I think you are confusing it with the 1720...

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

very likely; mine doesn't even have a 3 digit model number. My neighbor has the 19 center console with a deep V.