Teleflex Tach Wiring...1 Alt. Wire or 2?

sportyinc

Seaman
I installed my new tach following what I thought were the instructions, but it doesn't read over 4000rpm (or it may be the prop).
I thought I would double check the connections.
On this forum I learned I needed to move the tach wire (brown) from the SwitchBox to the Alternator wire.
There are two identical yellow/red wires coming down from the alt, going to the rectifier.
I downloaded the Teleflex install instructions today and they show the tach wire (from "send" terminal) being connected to BOTH alt wires.

http://www.downloadingfiles.co.uk/t...structionmanuals/99320 rev 10 Tachometer,.pdf

See page 3.

But it doesn't say to connect to both.

Anyone know if I need to connect to just one wire or both?

Thanks,

Sportyinc

Boblester40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Teleflex Tach Wiring...1 Alt. Wire or 2?

Has the tach got a pole adjusment on it (rotary switch) , the ones i have installed you have to tell the tach how many poles the alternator has to ensure the tach converts the pulses corrrectly.

rgds
bob

sportyinc

Seaman
Re: Teleflex Tach Wiring...1 Alt. Wire or 2?

Thanks much GonzagaCRO. I now have the tach connected to ONE yellow wire but the Teleflex instructions clearly show connections to both.
Now I know I have it connected correctly.

Boblester40:
My info says my alt has 12 poles. The tach is set to 6p.
Should be correct.
All this info indicates I desperately need to try a 15 to 16P prop. to get into the 4800-5300 RPM range. Right now reading 4000 WOT with a 13X19P.

Thanks for the help,

Sportyinc