1993 chevy 4 cylinder bogging

juicebox

Petty Officer 3rd Class
any insight would be much appreciated, my buddies boat finally got into the water this year. idles fine, but when we got going it would bog i feathered the throttle a little bit(backed it off i mean) and it would catch up and run fine, then i'd advance a little more and it would bog but then it would catch up and run fine. i also noticed that it was idling at around 1500rpm, which i know is way high, almost like the previous owner jumped it up to compensate for whatever the underlying problem is. is this just a fuel delivery issue (hopefully) please help guys......thank you

ErieRon

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1993 chevy 4 cylinder bogging

Sounds like fuel/carb, but could be other ignition issues. I would start by checking/changing all fuel filters, water separator. Then, check for water in the fuel. Drain some from the fuel line into a clear jar and let it sit. The water will separate fairly quickly. Clogged filters will cause your symptoms as well as several carburetor related items. A carb rebuild is probably in your future if the past maintenance has been poor or unknown.

Get the serial numbers from the drive and engine, year, make & model and post them. We can direct you to manuals, troubleshooting resources. Or, get the numbers and go here to find it yourself; http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288430

Bondo

Staff member

is this just a fuel delivery issue (hopefully)

Ayuh,... That's what it sounds like to Me,...
I'd start with a Carb rebuild with a Full Kit,+ new Acc.pump....

juicebox

Petty Officer 3rd Class

guys i really appreciate the help/info, there's alot of time left this year to fish and hopefully i can get it running better for my buddy.

love1u0

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When is the last time it had a tune up? My boat had a bogging problem like you describe and it turned out being that the distributor cap was corroded on the inside.

juicebox

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i know the previous owners had some work done, but we had to replace the gimble bearing and all the bellows as i pulled the ujoint bellow off the transom plate with my fingers and the was a small amount of water inside, but the gimble bearing was froze. i was a little suprised to say the least, that a marina would do such shotty work. as far as a tune up i'm not sure, i knew something was amiss cause of it idling so high, between 1500 and 2000 i think the lowest i could get it to idle by itself was around 1200 before it would stall. this is of course to say also that the guage is working correctly, hopefully... its just a work in progress atleast this is what i've told him, its all routine maintenance... thanks guys

zbnutcase

Commander

Shoddy work abounds in this industry, I see and repair it daily. 'nutcase

catfish hunter

Seaman Apprentice

I had the same problem. Rebuilt the carb, did a full tune-up(points, cap, plugs and plug wires) and checked the timing(was off). Now it runs like a champ!!