Steering Cable Problem

markntexas81

Cadet
i have an '84 rollin 14 ft bass boat. the steering cable snapped between the rotary and the throttle box. how do i go about repairing it? i cant seem to detach the rotary from the steering column. it looks like there is a pin underneath on the rotary holding it together or is that sumthing else? how do i get the cable out and a new one back in? or detach the whole system if thats needed? any help would be greatly appreciated!

thedukeryan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Steering Cable Problem

I will be replacing my rack and pinion steering probably early next year. I figured there is no point of replacing it now just to let it sit all winter. Anyways it is my understanding that you will need to replace your whole steering system. Dont worry they are not a major expense your probably looking at about $150. My rack is held on by two bolts behind the wheel. I can not say if the rotary system is similar but I cant imangine it being to hard to replace. I have not pulled mine out yet but it appears that I am just looking at the two bolts behind the helm and then the nut connecting it to the drive. I cant imangine it being more than a hour or two.

markntexas81

Cadet

Thanks for the advice. Yeah i was just thinking that instead of $150, i could spend $20. Moneys gonna be tight after the holidays. Don't want to put too much money into this little boat. Haha! But it gets the job done for sure!

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

If you have a rotory helm, there is a hole on the forward side of the helm where the cable housing attaches. Push a screwdriver into the hole to release the housing from the helm. Rotate the steering wheel to feed the cable out. You should not have to remove the helm from the boat.

Attachments

• helm cable release.jpg
    helm cable release.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 0

thedukeryan

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can find a used system on ebay for probably under $50. It may take some looking. Just search teleflex or what not. Good luck