Reolacing Manifolds & Risers

TRONMAN2000

Seaman Apprentice
I am replacing my manifolds and risers on my 5.0GL PEFS Volvo. The manual only says "Install Gasket". Does this require any type of gasket sealant, or does it just go on dry? I assume it doesn't require any sealant, but I really don't want to find out the hard way! :mad:

Thanks

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: Reolacing Manifolds & Risers

riser to manifold gasket will work better if you spray the gasket with "hi tack" by permatex.It is a light film that will prevent against any seepage.This is the only one I would use because any other will get into the water passage ways when you tighten it down.Charlie

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Volvo says not to use anything in their instructions. Assuming you are using Volvo gaskets, I would not put anything else on them.

Of course I am also using OEM manifolds and risers. Aftermarket may be another story.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Even the after market gaskets sets say to install dry.That is why most of them are the metal type crush gasket material.

TRONMAN2000

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies! Dry it is then. Now I need to find a gorilla to hold them in place for me to bolt them in! Although , it is supposed to be almost 70 degrees here this weekend. I might get one last run on these manifolds. They are 9 yrs old, but I still have good water flow. I am just replacing them for preventative maintenance.

Thanks for your help ;)

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

Quick trick to help put them on. Take a bolt slightly longer than the manifold bolt. Cut the head off. Now you've got a stud to support the manifold. Screw the stud into one of the end locations. Slip on the gasket and then the manifold. Then line up the other end and put it the end bolt. Then put in a bolt in the hole next to the stud you used. Remove the stud with pliers and finish putting in the bolts. Don't forget to torque them down. This saves scraped knuckles and broken spark plugs when the manifold slips during instruction. I've broken one or two plugs and banged my knuckles a bit until I started doing it this way. Good luck. Hy

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Quick trick to help put them on. Take a bolt slightly longer than the manifold bolt. Cut the head off. Now you've got a stud to support the manifold. Screw the stud into one of the end locations. Slip on the gasket and then the manifold. Then line up the other end and put it the end bolt. Then put in a bolt in the hole next to the stud you used. Remove the stud with pliers and finish putting in the bolts. Don't forget to torque them down. This saves scraped knuckles and broken spark plugs when the manifold slips during instruction. I've broken one or two plugs and banged my knuckles a bit until I started doing it this way. Good luck. Hy

Good tip!
Some of the after market kits include a couple extra long bolts for that reason.
They are heavy to do the job with one person.

TRONMAN2000

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the tip Bookworm! I will definitely do that. No need for the gorilla. I will probably remove my spark plugs and tape the holes just in case.

Thanks again