Should I use body filler on Gunnels?

SoonerD

Cadet
I'm in the process of doing all the prep work getting ready to paint my 18' aluminum boat. There are some small "dimples" on the gunnel and cannot get under the gunnels to pop them out. That said, I know that auto body shops use body filler (putty) and thought that I might be able to use the filler, then sand and prime. I would appreciate any input or suggestions based on your experiences.

Thanks!

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Should I use body filler on Gunnels?

I have no experience with alum boats but if they were small and not tooo deep I don't see why not. What kind of paint are you using? If its a marine paint then contact them and see what they say. I know interlux has a wonderful helpline for that stuff.

Also hang on before you make your decision there are a ton of starcraft guys that are sure to chime in.

SoonerD

Cadet

Thanks, This is my first restoration and appreciate the years of experience from users on this site. I am using Supermarine paint & primer and I'm sure there isn't a problem with using filler in conjunction with these products but will call the manufacturer. My main concern is making sure that the filler isn't going to chip out in the near future.

Any help would be appreciated!

I'll post pictures when I'm done with this project. By the way, the first thing I did was get the trailer set up to properly support the weight of the boat and replace the axels, springs, tires, wheel etc. There was NOTHING about that project that I enjoyed and it turned out to be a money pit! I'm looking forward to the boat restoration.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

By the way, the first thing I did was get the trailer set up to properly support the weight of the boat and replace the axels, springs, tires, wheel etc. There was NOTHING about that project that I enjoyed and it turned out to be a money pit! I'm looking forward to the boat restoration.

Tell me about it. Trailers are my arch nemesis. I HATE them. Fortunately it looks like my current project won't require too much work in that area but it will need new roller bunks, wheel bearings, and tires.

On the body filler, I am pretty sure I've read on here that there are reasons why you can't use it on a boat. Unfortunately I can't remember why that was. I know that the "can't go wrong" alternative is Marine Tex http://www.marinetex.com/marinetexepoxyputty.html hopefully someone else will come along and clarify.

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Oh yeah forgot about marine tex, it can't be gelcoated but your boat is aluminum so no worries there, thats why we didnt use it on ours.

I know that the interlux way for prepping is coat of primer, then filler then sanding then another coat of primer. maybe thats to keep it from chipping out I don't know.

SoonerD

Cadet

Just to clarify, are you saying you should use a marine grade filler even thought it's above the waterline (gunnels)? I looked at the Marine Tex and it was $400 (West Marine), but they did have a product from Interlux that was only $36. I would like to know the difference between these products and the standard body filler that you get from an autobody repair shop.

Thanks again for all your help....I'm a rookie at this!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Normal body filler isn't the most durable product out there, nor is it very water resisitant. Bonding to aluminum is also a little tricky, so low end products don't perform well at times.

Will it work....sort of....will it last....maybe....will it be cheap...yes.

SoonerD

Cadet

Thanks Ezmobee.....I would rather support Iboats anyway.

I still want to hear from anyone who has used filler on an aluminum boat and if this is a good idea? Because these are small "dimples" (picture what hail does when it hits aluminum) - I guess I'm wondaring since this is not a hole, will this bond with the aluminum to a point where it will not chip away?

Thanks again for everyones input...Keep it coming!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

This is the actual answer.

Will it work....sort of....will it last....maybe....will it be cheap...yes.

These are the facts of cheap body filler, aluminum and water, It will hold up until it gets stressed. If it gets hot, flexed, banged, soaked in water, etc, it will fail, any of these could happen the first time out, or five years down the road. If you use a better product it will hold up to much more abuse.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Body filler....no.

JB weld, PC 11 or marine tex will all work..... If it is a smooth level surface gluvit will work too. Regardless of which you use it needs to be marine grade due to the water exposure and the marine products are a harder surface strength.

Gluvit will work best because of the possible flexing later on.... it will not chip away and is really self leveling. Be sure you sand to bare aluminum and leave a "gripping" surface with coarse sand paper.

SoonerD

Cadet

Thanks Guys, I will use one of the recommended products and let you know how it turns out. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Hey Bob, can you really sand Gluvit? I haven't used it yet (will be tomorrow actually) My impression of the product was that it stayed pretty flexible. Awesome for seam and rivet sealing but I wouldn't think it would be any good for filling hull dents and sanding smooth. As I said, I haven't used it.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Yes, it can be sanded and it is actually recommended that it be lightly sanded prior to paint. If a dent is small and you can hold that surface level then the gluvit will work........ it is a VERY VERY expensive dent filler. I have gotten very accustomed to PC 11 for filler work. I have used it to fill a few dents in my hull.

SoonerD

Cadet

Bob, Excuse my rookie ignorance, but do I use the PC-11, then sand & prime over it? I have seen a few posts where they said to use a coat of primer, then fill, then primer again. Another question, after reading the description, it appears that it's tack free in 90 minutes but takes 1-2 weeks for maximum cure. Do I need to wait 1-2 weeks before priming? That sounds silly, but thought I would ask.

Thanks again for all your help!