85 hp johnson wont go into reverse

smokeyutah

Recruit
Hi i have an 85hp johnson outboard motor and when i have the ear muffs on it it shifts into foward nutral and reverse fine but when i put it in the water it wont go in reverse and pops into foward . Can anyone tell me why it is doing this plzzzzzzz

TY smokeyutah

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 85 hp johnson wont go into reverse

Need to know what year the motor is (because it could be an electric shift which would affect your answers)

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

It does sound like a electric shift with bad wiring....

SparkieBoat

Captain

i hate electric shift, I threw a 69' 40 HP johnson super sea horse in the trash cause it pissed me off..lol its true.

smokeyutah

Recruit

its a 1974 85 hp johnson with electric shift the funny part about it is it works fine when not in the water with the muffs on it

SparkieBoat

Captain

thats because it has no pressure on it, under a load it will slip because the electric shifter part does not apply enough pressure to the clutch dog to hold it engaged

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

'74 is not electric shift. '72 was the last year for it.

SparkieBoat

Captain

I didn't look it up, just went off of what Faz said..he is usually right. if its not electric shift/assist then you need to check your cable adjustment, also change foot oil and look for shavings..sounds like a worn clutch dog..if so it will not necessarily have much shavings. Unless your pretty mechanically inclined gear case work is tricky and requires some special tools, You could probably find a used foot for around $150

SparkieBoat

Captain

Smokey do you have a model #?? how do you know its electric shift?? are you sure of the year?? I just re read some of your post and saw that you said it is an electric shift.

SparkieBoat

Captain

If it is electric shift, I would just find a newer motor..

EDIT: soliciting is forbidden. Please use the PM system - ezmobee