Prop Size?

Thuggin4Life

Cadet
I have a 9.9 merc ss 2 stroke. Think its an 1987. Was wondering about changing the prop to get more speed. Any advice is welcomed.

Thuggin4Life

Cadet
Re: Prop Size

Also what number is the number i need to tell what my prop is. There is a 9PLA10 on the side and a 48-42522-9 on the inside. I assume I have a 9" prop?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

It is a 9" pitch.The 9" is probably what it came with.Not necessary to know the diameter;diameter will follow design for your motor.You really shouldn't make a prop change without a tach.
also a gps for speed is ideal.A tiny tach is about $40 very easy install and the one for your motor will work on any 2 cylinder 2 stroke.
If you tell us your boat info,typical load and a baseline test of max rpm and speed we can make a suggestion if more is possible.In the meantime read the stickies at the top of the page.

propper_advice

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Prop Size?

General rule is that increasing your pitch should provide more top end. However, I fully agree that you want all the info before you buy a new prop.

Thuggin4Life

Cadet
Re: Prop Size?

Took my planing fin off and it ran like the 9.9 i borrowed before i bought mine. thanks if i change pitch i think i woulg go less.