Sound deadening material for engine cover/enclosure

F14CRAZY

Ensign
I got thinking...my Capri originally had foam on the inside of the engine cover, I'm assuming the stuff that you'd call "eggcrate" foam but with most neglected boats it's long gone.

Does Dynamat and similar material (I've got a roll of Fatmat) work pretty well? Would two layers be needed? I'd like to add some back there to try to keep the noise down.

I got thinking too, wouldn't the insulation you find under the hoods of cars and trucks work well? I'm assuming that stuff is there for sound deadening (and probably heat too). Since it's made for use in an engine compartment I would think it's safe. I'm sure the local u-pull would just about give me a few.

Thanks guys

BobsGlasstream

Commander
Re: Sound deadening material for engine cover/enclosure

Hello f14crazy,
You are correct about the material found under the hood of most cars is sound deadening material. However it is not for marine applications. Most of it was made with basically ground up material (clothing)and a phenolic resin. If you get it wet it will turn into a major mess. It will also mildew and hold moister. I would stay away from it. I don't think you would like the results. :eek:
That's my slant on it.
You could build a temp inner skin, lined with plastic on the wood side and fill with 2 part urethane foam. Allow it to free rise out of the temp skin then trim off excess,and seal.:)
Good luck
Bob

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Fatmat...dynamat either will work fine. The stuff under a car's hood is trash..... you can even put in a layer of closed cell foam but if you have fatmat on hand I would say use it!

CTJeff

Seaman Apprentice

F14-
I was thinking about using the aluminum covered insulation (its sort of like bubble wrap) around the dog house with some spray adhesive and some kind of fastners screws, big washers, or braces with same. I guess it's pick your poison.
Jeff

F14CRAZY

Ensign

haha I'll stay away from the underhood stuff :D

The idea with closed cell foam sounds good. It seems like a layer of that, say 3/4'', would provide more sound deadening than just a layer of fatmat but I personally don't know.

fishrdan

Admiral

The idea with closed cell foam sounds good.

On that thought, you can get a sleeping bag pad at WallyWorld for $5. I think they are around 6' x 2.5' x 1/2". They even have ones that are egg crated (which will help kill noise) for a few more bucks.