Replace 1972 I6 rectifier with regulator ?

Reinder

Cadet
My 1972 mercury 1350 has a rectifier installed. It does not seem to do anything to the voltage. When I took it out for the first time my voltmeter read 18 volts on a fully charged deep cycle marine battery.

I have an 15 Amp rectifier / voltage limiter set to 14.4 volts. Would I have any issues replacing the rectifier with this unit ?. It was originally intended for a Kohler engine and has the same three connections with the housing going to ground.

Would the high voltage have had any influence on the ignition pack ? Initially it got up to high rpm's After adjusting the angle to the transom and restarting it did not rev up. Did still manage to go trough a lot of gas however.

any ideas are welcome.

daveswaves

Ensign
Re: Replace 1972 I6 rectifier with regulator ?

My 1972 mercury 1350 has a rectifier installed. It does not seem to do anything to the voltage. When I took it out for the first time my voltmeter read 18 volts on a fully charged deep cycle marine battery.

I have an 15 Amp rectifier / voltage limiter set to 14.4 volts. Would I have any issues replacing the rectifier with this unit ?. It was originally intended for a Kohler engine and has the same three connections with the housing going to ground.

Would the high voltage have had any influence on the ignition pack ? Initially it got up to high rpm's After adjusting the angle to the transom and restarting it did not rev up. Did still manage to go trough a lot of gas however.

any ideas are welcome.

Keep in mind that when the 1350 was born there was no such thing as a deep cycle marine battery (for civilian use). A plain old battery was used and would suck up the juice and just boil off the electrolyte. If you cannot run a regulator turn on the running lights to keep the voltage in check. Yes the high voltage can damage stuff on your boat. The ignition pack will be fine. Not sure about your Kohler regulator but would be interested in knowing more about it. Pics or part numbers, what kind of Kohler engine etc. Us inline merc guys are always looking for new ways to regulate the voltage.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Any simple rectifer/regulator capable of handling a potential load of 15-20 amps will work but the better ones are capable of voltage sensing so they don't overcharge your batteries. Those will have an aditional red lead that is usually smaller in size but connects together at the same point as the other red wire.

Check out CDI's offerings. http://www.cdielectronics.com

Reinder

Cadet

Rectifier setup works great. Keeps battery at 14 volts and charges well.

Put it in the same space as original. Had to drill 1 hole and used two nuts as spacer to keep terminals from touching the frame.

Will keep posting if anything changes.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Put it in the same space as original. Had to drill 1 hole and used two nuts as spacer to keep terminals from touching the frame.

Great, just an FYI I was looking around at alternative (less expensive) rectifier/regulators and found several (not less expensive) that would fit Mercury Outboards, Kubota and Kohler engines. When you think about it there's no brand name on electricity that I know of.

daveswaves

Ensign

Sounds good, now I just have to find a Kolhler dealer that understands part numbers. Heres how the conversation is likely to go: " What year is your tractor? I dont have a tractor i just want to buy the regulator.....do you have the serial number of your engine? Yes but it won,t help, its a mercury. We don,t stock mercury parts you will have to go to the mercury dealer."

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Sounds good, now I just have to find a Kolhler dealer that understands part numbers. Heres how the conversation is likely to go: " What year is your tractor? I dont have a tractor i just want to buy the regulator.....do you have the serial number of your engine? Yes but it won,t help, its a mercury. We don,t stock mercury parts you will have to go to the mercury dealer."

ROFLOL... No kidding.. what's really funny is that I first thought you were going to a merc dealer for a merc part..... Then I realized Merc doesn't make tractors. LOL too funny.

j_martin

Admiral

Third party versions for as little as 30 bucks or so.

works for me.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Third party versions for as little as 30 bucks or so.

works for me.
Yup, Radio Shack has all the components you need. It was one of the first circuits I learned. Dang that was a long time ago... I still remember that lab and hot wiring the desks with charged caps. LOL too funny.

j_martin

Admiral

Yup, Radio Shack has all the components you need. It was one of the first circuits I learned. Dang that was a long time ago... I still remember that lab and hot wiring the desks with charged caps. LOL too funny.

I'm not talking about re-inventing the wheel. I mean that there are third party versions of 15 amp lawn equipment regulators out there for thirty bucks.

Almost anything is better than the stock mercury rectifier.

John

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I'm not talking about re-inventing the wheel. I mean that there are third party versions of 15 amp lawn equipment regulators out there for thirty bucks.

Almost anything is better than the stock mercury rectifier.

John
Agree, I haven't been able to find one with a voltage sensing circuit yet, have you? I just paid way too much for my CDI's. That's why I'm looking at alternatives.

j_martin

Admiral

Agree, I haven't been able to find one with a voltage sensing circuit yet, have you? I just paid way too much for my CDI's. That's why I'm looking at alternatives.

Hello.......That's what this thread is talking about.
WAI p/n KH4309 15A, 14.4 V

Or you can wire in one of the mercury 20 amp rectifier/regulators from later engines, either 16 or 40 amp.(dual)

hope it helps
John

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Anyone recall what a 'grounding zenier diode' is?

In a nutshell, it grounds off excess voltage/current to trim voltage.

Added to a rectifier and viola, you have a regulator.

Basically this is what all permanent magnet charging systems use, since they cannot regulate the alternator field they ground off all excess to keep the battery from overcharging and boiling.

This is why this style regulator operate so hot, they are 'shorting' the charging system, the stator is always operating at peak capacity given RPM capability.

Lawn mower//air cooled engine generally have this regulator placed in the air stream to provide cooling.

Some J/E rectifier/Regulators are water cooled to increase longevity.

Many, many moons ago, Vespa had the nasty habit of blowing out the headlight, on the freeway, at night.

Solution was to drill a hole to ground mount a 14 V Zenier, never blew another light.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Fast forward 20 years........

Now instead of using a the grounding zenier diode we have some neat electrical switches called transistors that can switch the current OFF when the voltage rises, say to 13.8 to 14.2, then turn the current back ON when the voltage falls back within an acceptable range.

With the transistorized regulators now days, the stator charging coils are NOT 100% loaded, don't run near as hot, last longer, and free up some more HP to do work, like turn the prop or push the car along.