Fiberglass Hole Fix

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello - I'm not good with the fiberglass; in fact, I've never worked with it.

My question is how do I fix holes in the fiberglass when I don't have access to the other side of the hole? The previous boat owner had drilled 1/2" holes into the fiberglass bench seats and now I'm trying to fix plug them/patch them up.

As far as aesthestics is concerned, I don't need it to look perfect, but at the same time I don't want to just slap resin into the holes, either.

Anyway, I have attached a diagram to give you an idea of what I'm working with. There is about 1/4" of fiberglass on top of about 1" of wood. Below that is foam.

If someone can give me advice or point me to a link (or thread that I couldn't find), I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• fiberglasshole.JPG
    fiberglasshole.JPG
    12.3 KB · Views: 0

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant
Re: Fiberglass Hole Fix

try youtube.com for some repair vids...

dish out with a grinder the area where the hole is, blow out hole so its clean, wipe with acetone, fill wood void with either a wood plug or perhaps some bondo putty to fill it in to 1/4 below top level of fiberglass seat bench

cut some fiberglass circles, one or 2 the size of the hole, then ones slightly bigger and yet bigger several layers thick till you have it built up, add a little resin between each layer until you have a circle the size of the ground out area but just a bit smaller...build it up till it is about level with the seat......(using fiberglass and resin)
once dry sand it flat....if it needs some small fills...use fiberglass patch gel (it has little fibers in it kinda like fiberglass bondo of sorts) then sand that flat and should be good to go after that!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

No need for fiberglass..... Get a bondo marine epoxy stick and tear off a chunk, knead it and fill the hole...

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

No need for fiberglass..... Get a bondo marine epoxy stick and tear off a chunk, knead it and fill the hole...

knead it then he'll need to sand right?

no need to work too hard..Its hard on the knees

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Any of the above goo's will work. Just make sure you bevel the hole or your fix will just push through.

In ASCII glory:
Code:
Instead of this:
|  |
|  |

Make it look like this:
\    /
 \  /

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

the wood plug/filler is the way I was going to go.

I think I'll do the wood plug/bondo fix, and I will bevel the hole (and leave enough to sand).

Thanks a lot for the suggestions; just wanted to make sure my way was a "good" way.

:D