What lube to use on swiveling seats

mwnitz

Seaman Apprentice
I have 2 swiveling seats. The bases look aluminum and slide over a white plactic ring/hub. This hub then slides over an aluminum post that rises up from the floor.

I can't seem to get the right product to lubricate this seat swivel function properly. Any recommendations? Pay no attention to the green marine grease on it. I was experimenting. Thanks.

Attachments

• Seat post.jpg
    Seat post.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Seat base 2.jpg
    Seat base 2.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 2

trendsetter240

Lieutenant
Re: What lube to use on swiveling seats

I have 2 swiveling seats. The bases look aluminum and slide over a white plactic ring/hub. This hub then slides over an aluminum post that rises up from the floor.

I can't seem to get the right product to lubricate this seat swivel function properly. Any recommendations? Pay no attention to the green marine grease on it. I was experimenting. Thanks.

Your basic marine grade general purpose grease should be fine for this. What sort of problems are you having with lubrication?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

My pedestal seats have a special piece of black smooth plastic (it looks like a plastic cup) that is an insert that my seats swivel on.

woosterken

Lieutenant

what about a lite coat of never seize?
i think its water proof

woosterken

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

I had similar problem with mine.I bought it from an old guy, didn't ever lube it. wore out plastic bushing.I made my own bushing/ bearing. a peice of 1/4" steel and 2 pieces of flat nylon type material.most any grease will do.If its not spinning, and this is your concern, remove pedestal and seat. so you can turn them up side down and see what the problem is.I tried to lube/fix in boat, couldn't see what was happening or what i was doing. hope this helps, is it possible that the white plastic bushing is supposed to stay whith the seat portion? and not the tube

mwnitz

Seaman Apprentice

I have used marine grease, wheel bearing grease, WD-40......

The left seat doesn't spin as easily as the right seat. If there is no special trick to it, then I will just replace that white plastic bushing and see what happens. Anyone know where I can get one of those?

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Sorry- Double post :redface:

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

I have that same type mount & i just use a very thin layer of white lithium & have had no drips, spills or errors :cool:

fff.jpg
[/IMG]

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

white lithium grease from aerosol is a great product on almost anything in a boat.
Or spray teflon lube. Vaseline. Bar soap.
Don't use WD40. One, it attracts salt. Two, it's too thin; it's better at removing than adding.