portable gas tanks, decent quality

arimatation

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an Arima 15 ft boat with a 1994 Mercury 60HP. I have one fuel tank 6 gallon. The one I have now is a Tempo model# 620049 that came with the boat.

I would not mind having the 9 gallon size, although putting it in and out of the boat might be a bit much.......... Is spending $26 for a Wally World tank going to be any worse than a $55 tank somewhere else?

I see a lot of Moeller tanks out there. Any comments on what brand/type of tanks you run would be appreciated.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander
Re: portable gas tanks, decent quality

I bought a cheapo plastic tank (6 gal) to use in addition to the two much older plastic tanks that came with my first boat.....installed Q/D fittings on each of the tanks and would go from one tank to the other during the days outing...the cheapo tank was no different than the two weather faded old tanks that came with the boat , no diff in quality that I could see...and I used the three of them for 8 yrs until I found a 22 gal plastic tank from a pick-up truck that would fit under the rear cap of my boat,....I also carried the newer cheapo tank as a spare tank for the next 3 yrs , until I gave that boat away to a friend...he may still be using that cheapo tank. I originally purchased that tank from my local K-Mart..my plastic tanks were kept out of the sun , as they fit nicely under the bench seat at the stern ....just my .02

lcdr frank

Seaman Apprentice

From past experience I have had the best luck with Moeller and Tempo tanks. THE WALLY TANKS ARE MADE FROM THINNER MATERIAL. Some of the cheaper tanks would develop small cracks on the top of the tank.

Frank

jfadool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

on a side note: I would not recommend buying the walmart fuel line bulb. I replaced a leaky one with one from walmart and it will not get firm or hold pressure well. It works Ok when it wants to.

jeff_smith_0423

Chief Petty Officer

Moeller/Attwod/Tempo make value line tanks that they sell at mass market retailers and they are certainly of lower quality and thinner material. I had a couple Attwoods that blew up like baloons if the vent was left closed and the temperature changed 10-12 degrees.

I bought a Moeller top-sider at West Marine for around $26 and it is a great tank. If you really want a good one, get the BRP or Quicksilver tanks. They're gorgeous - well, as far as fuel tanks go.

arimatation

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I ordered a Moeller 6 gallon tank. So I will see how it does.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

aftermarket bulbs attwood, moeller, tempo, the arrow on bulb points to the motor, ALSO, when pumping, point the arrow to the sky!!, it works much better in that position.