Squeaky Leafs??

imported_Warren

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just purchased a new boat and the trailer has a really bad Squeak. I saw people rolling up there windows on the way home from picking it up. What should I use on them to stop the squeak? Also there is some rust on the trailer. Is there a product that I can spray inside the channel to stop the rust? there are some spots that I can't get to with a wire wheel.......Warren

TOMMYM

Cadet
Re: Squeaky Leafs??

This sounds like a used trailer that has been sitting arond for a while? If so the squeak may go away by itself after some of the rust rubs away.This has happened to me in the spring.<br />Happy Boating, Tommy :)

imported_Warren

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea it is pretty old. It was built in the 80's. I talked to the previous owner today and he said that it has squeaked like that the whole time he's owned it...I don't like it at all.....

BillP

Captain

warren from cali,<br />I use motorcycle chain lube on my trailer springs to keep rust away but it may work on squeaks. It's a light grease and comes in aerosol cans. I've found the foaming type penetrates springs best. The non foaming type lasts and sticks longer but doesn't get between the springs as easy. Once or twice a year is all you need under heavy usage.

one more cast

Captain

If you jack up your trailer by the frame (not the axle) so both wheels are dangling off the ground you can insert thin strips of teflon between the spring leafs(sp). this will stop the squeeks.

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Where do you get the Teflon?<br /><br />Thom

imported_Warren

Petty Officer 1st Class

One more cast, your talking about teflon pipe tape right?....Thanks for the reply's i'm gonna take a look at it again today......Warren

one more cast

Captain

I think you will need something a little thicker then teflon tape. I'm not sure where to get it, I use to be able to get it through where I worked.I'll do a web search and see what I come up with.

truth74

Cadet

I have two cents to add. <br />You might want to take a look at just replacing the springs, they are very cheap usually about 12 to 15 dollars per side.<br />And also where the spring mounting bolt passes thru the spring eye there is a plastic insert that is placed in the leaf spring eyes to keep from having the mounting bolts rubbing in the leaf eyes. <br />But all said if it was me i would just buy new leaf springs and throw them on. One hint i always use Never Seize on the whole length of the mounting bolts, to help reduce noise, and rusting of the bolts where they pass thru the leaf spring eyes.

macojoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bought new springs just for that reason!! I got them from Northern they are 3500# Mono springs. Just one spring and n more squeak. I think I got them for about $40 for the pair?

BassMan31

Seaman Apprentice

You could try using a penetrating oil or spray that has teflon in it. You should be able to pick some up at a n auto parts store. Just make sure it has teflon in it

Bondo

Staff member

If you jack up your trailer by the frame (not the axle) so both wheels are dangling off the ground you can insert thin strips of teflon between the spring leafs(sp). this will stop the squeeks
Not Really what you're looking for,<br />But a viable alternative......<br />Cut strips out of old Oil bottles, or Antifreeze jugs......<br />They'll last several years..... Depending on usage...... ;)

imported_Warren

Petty Officer 1st Class

Whoa.....Just came back to check on this thread and saw all the action....Thanks for all the info.....Hmmmm, you guys give me too many diff choices here. I'm gonna pull it apart tomorrow and see if the plastic spacer is in there.....I'll get back when I figure it out.....Thanks again for the info....Warren

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

I recently used spray on grease from lubrimatic(found it in home depot) on the leaf springs of my explorer & an annoying squeak went away. Other spray lubricants couldn't quite get rid of it. I didn't know they made spray grease until I read BillP's post. I'll be using it on my trailer springs come spring.<br />Thanks