66 to 68 Orl. Clipper Transom Repair Question?

Dale1128

Recruit
Please help!
I am in the middle of restoring my 1966 to 68 Orlando Clipper (Not sure of the year yet) the boat is an 18' cuddy cabin, and built from fiberglass. The transom and stringers have been replaced on this boat before. Unfortunately, it has to happen again. This time I want to do the rebuild completely from composite materials. I am thinking about using the product "Seacast" to rebuild everything. Or, can I use foam core for this rebuild? I know I could use marine plywood but really want to stay away from any type of wood. I have done a lot of research on Seacast and it seems to be the best fit for what I want. But, I cant find any info on foam repair for transoms, so would this be better then Seacast? Any thoughts on what I am doing, I will try to post some photos

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 66 to 68 Orl. Clipper Transom Repair Question?

Welcome to iboats.

Seacast and nidbond are the two cast able alternatives. They will set your wallet back with seacast being the most expensive of the two.

If the transom and stringers were done once before.....why did they fail? More than likely they were the wrong materials and/or they were not sealed properly.

You will find a great deal of assistance here.

Play around with the search feature and sit back and have fun.

Dale1128

Recruit

Thanks for your quick reply! I have not heard of Nida-bond yet so thanks for telling me about that. I just searched there website and it seems that would work great for my needs and my wallet. Also, yes the first replacement did not work because of not properly sealing the wood. The more I think about it, I might use Nida-bond for the transom and wood on the stringers. This could really speed up the restore process for me because I would not be spending so much money on pourable fiberglass. In any ones opinion is that a good idea for me? Also, does anyone know of an alternative material to wood I could use on the floor?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

In my opinion (for what that's worth :)) Seacast (and the like) are great for one situation.....the entire boat is in great shape but the transom is shot. Then you just dig out the old transom, pour in the new one and resume boating. However, I feel that if you've got deck or stringer issues in addition to the transom...I'd go back with wood on the transom. You've already got everything apart anyway. Wood, when properly glassed in will last a LONG time.