Oil Change in MY Mercruiser 5.0 now engine wont start

adame123

Recruit
ANy ideas? I changed the oil and filter. Went to crank the engine and all it does is keep turning but wont start...Oil pressure builds up while i crank it....The engine was running 1 hour before oil change....1 st time this season i had any problems....

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: Oil Change in MY Mercruiser 5.0 now engine wont start

Check the overboard lanyard switch? Maybe knock coil wire off? 'nutcase

Fun Times

Staff member

Does the rpm gauge move up around 300-400 rpms while cranking?

Also you may have a bad connection with the main wire harness that plugs into the engine, Try wiggling the wire harness around.

Did you do anything with the fuel filter???

jetmart

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Try the emergency tether switch. Give it a wiggle. Mine came back from winter servicing and would crank, also it had no warning test beeps when the key is 1st turned on. Reseating the switch took care of it.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Going to assume a lot here, like you have a newer model with an electric fuel pump, and the oil filter is down below, next to the oil pan on the port aft side of the engine where you can't see, but have to feel to do anything. If that is the case, you probably knocked the wires off the oil pressure switch that controls the fuel pump. The are located just above the oil filter

Fun Times

Staff member

Going to assume a lot here, like you have a newer model with an electric fuel pump, and the oil filter is down below, next to the oil pan on the port aft side of the engine where you can't see, but have to feel to do anything. If that is the case, you probably knocked the wires off the oil pressure switch that controls the fuel pump. The are located just above the oil filter
Good point here, I believe on some set up's it's easier/Safer to unplug the wire harness going to the oil switch to remove the oil filter. You may have damaged the wire harness in someway.

Showtime22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can check for spark by removing a plug and holding it very close to a metal ground while some one cranks the motor.

Id recommend using a leather glove - one without a place for a baseball.

zbnutcase

Commander

Still if its carbed it should start on the gas in the float bowl with electric pump. 'nutcase