Simple Outdrive Stand

Grumman59

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've seen some nice homemade outdrive stands here but I wanted something simple that would take up least space in my shop to store the unit over the winter. Since I just resealed the drive, I knocked this up.

If it's cut with a miter saw keeping all the ends square and put together with deck screws, it's quite sturdy. I can drag it around easily or I could put it on a dolly if necessary. The drive slides in from the front.

I piece 2x8, 20"lg
2 pcs 2x4, 20" lg
4 pcs 2x4, 18-3/4"lg
1 pcc 3/8 ply, 10-1/4" x 20-1/4"
couple of 2x4 mitered gussets
Gap of 5" between the top 2x4s.

Attachments

• P1020311.JPG
    P1020311.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 6
  • P1020312.JPG
    P1020312.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 4
  • p1020310cjpg.jpg
    p1020310cjpg.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 5

ErieRon

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Simple Outdrive Stand

That's a beaut ! Pretty much what I did, except I put a 3/4" base on it that sits independently on another 3/4" plywood base with casters. Plus, I attached a gauge and plumbing for pressure testing it. Sure makes everything a lot easier.

a70eliminator

Captain

You did a good job, and doesn't get much simpler, I like the gussets.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Timing is impeccable..
I have been wrestling my OD around the last few days and have been kicking around in my brain a way to do this.

Now I dont have to!

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Is it the right hieght to slide into place when puling off and reinstalling ?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Maybe on his boat, yours may be different. Different hull, different trailer.
Put your drive down so the cavitation plate is leverl and measure to the ground. Build your stand to fit that number.

Grumman59

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I pulled the drive with the skeg resting on a plywood board, before I had built the stand.

I guess by adjusting the trailer jockey wheel, you could use the stand to help it go back on but the tilt angle may need some adjustment. Plus, you'd need to reverse the drive from the way it's shown on the stand, otherwise you won't get the stand out.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Is that an engine valve to the right of the stand? If so it's huge! what's it from?

Grumman59

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is that an engine valve to the right of the stand? If so it's huge! what's it from?

Ah, the valve. Yes, that's my doorstop for the back door.

It's from one of the main engines of an ocean liner. I was looking over the engine rooms and chatting with the mechanics and they gave it to me as a souvenir. They had a bunch of bent ones hanging on the wall from previous disasters but they wanted to keep those. The engines had four valves per cylinder, otherwise it would be a lot bigger. I remember that the main engines extended up through three decks of the ship.