Looking at a Suzuki '04 140 FS

Yamauser

Seaman Apprentice
My friend is looking at an '04 Suzuki 140 four stroke. He has given me no serial numbers to go by and doesn't know the hours. From what he can gather, the motor was under used of anything. From appearance it looks to be in very good shape. I know this is not much to go on, but, can anyone give me an idea of a fair market price for such a motor or has anyone had any experience with a similar Suzuki? Thanks

keggy

Cadet
Re: Looking at a Suzuki '04 140 FS

Tell your friend he's crazy if he buys a suzuki!!! There are no parts available so if something goes wrong he'll have to wait 6 months for the parts. Especially on a 2004. Mine is a 2008 df50 and I've been told the parts I need under warranty won't be ready until February!!!! I took the boat in october 2nd. Go with a Yamaha or Evinrude but Suzuki is terrible for service and parts!!!!!

reeldutch

Lieutenant

dont know what keggy is talking about.

i work for a suzuki dealer and we get parts in every day.
otherwise we would be out of work. hahha
most parts are shipped the same or next day.
thats how it works. if you have to wait for 6 months go find a other dealer.

the DF 140s in my opinion is the best 4 stroke out there.

its been bulletproof.

they had some problems with the oxigen sensor fitting rotting out but thats been fixed.
the shift shaft bushing should be lubricated with the older 140s but i believe the 04 are inside the oilpan and have a bearing.

the maintenance on these 140s is easy and everything is acceseble.
waterpump is the simpelest i have ever seen.
i do it in a half hour on a df 140
i do it in a 1.5 on a etec.

the market price i would offer him 4.000
if he can show you all the service work and hours on the engine.

Yamauser

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies. This motor would go on a 20' Grady White Tournament. If the motor checks out, I think it would be worth the chance.