how to fire up 1981 Mercruiser 260 out of the boat

chris0061

Chief Petty Officer
I have a mercruiser 260 I thought I'd try to fire up today. I have it mounted to my trailer for transport, hooked the pos and neg up to a battery and it cranks good but I don't think I'm getting any spark. Is there something I have to jump since I'm not plugged into the boat harness?

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: how to fire up 1981 Mercruiser 260 out of the boat

Yes. Take a jumper wire from the battery + post to the +post of the ignition coil,however since you are bypassing the resistor wire, dont run engine too long or coil will overheat. 'nutcase

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

positive from the battery to the positive of the coil.
remote fuel tank.

chris0061

Chief Petty Officer

ok thanks guys. going to try it now.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

If it has points just jump from the battery to the + on the coil it will run. This is 12 volts It runs on 7 or so so I would not run it for hours. you need a water supply. I like to put a Y on my water supply and run one hose up in a tree about 6 feet and the other to my engine. The one in the air will keep you from putting 80 lbs on your system. If you do not have a point type distributor you will need to look at the books and find where the 12 volt supply comes from and put your jumper there. Use caution. Some engines require 12 volts to start and some have the 12 volts all the time and use the key to un-ground the pack. You can get the hose barb to hook up your gas supply at a hardware store or auto parts. I just flare a 2 inch long cooper pipe and put it into the fuel pump. The other end goes to a outboard tank with the bulb coming in very handy.

chris0061

Chief Petty Officer

it fired OK, I got to support it a little better. I got the risers off and looks like there is oil sitting in number 8 port. I'll support it and run it a second and see if it clears. Thanks again.