how do i count the pole?

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, I would like to add a tachnometer to my 1989 85 hp force outboard. I have no idea how many pole is the motor. 20 pole? Also can some one tell me how to adjust the idle speed? my motor idle too slow (i think) the motor will die if i put it in gear. I think it will run fine is i just increase the idle speed by a little. Thanks of all the input.

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: how do i count the pole?

It's a 20 pole, but you will be hard pressed to find one. You could innstall a tiny tach (google it for info) and mount near your speedo. You will have to run the line back to the motor to wrap the main lead on the bottom plug wire and the other to a good ground. They work very well, provide an accurate digital rpm read out and also serves as an hour meter. Very easy to install. Idle screw is attached to the timing linkage shaft, starboard side of motor. It is highly recommended that you get a manual- clymer or oem manual. I couldn't do anything without them and this forum.
good luck

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Idle needs to be about 700-750 rpm.Too high will cause premature clutch dag wear.

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class

hi thanks for the input. i do have the manual. but it is kind of confuse. one part it said adjust the timing linkage. another park it said adjust the idle pin on the carbulator.

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The "idle pin on the carb" is the fuel air mixture screw and should be set about 1 1/4 turns out from lightly seated-adjust per the manual. The idle speed adjustment screw is connected to the timing shaft, end of the screw is up against the block.

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class

The "idle pin on the carb" is the fuel air mixture screw and should be set about 1 1/4 turns out from lightly seated-adjust per the manual. The idle speed adjustment screw is connected to the timing shaft, end of the screw is up against the block.

Got it. thanks. now I need to get the tachnometer. :)
will this work? OUTBOARD-MARINE-ELECTRIC-TACH-STEWART-WARNER-GAUGES