1998 9.9 Merc 4 stroke starting help

Shadow662

Seaman
I have a Merc 4 stroke that has a little bit of starting problems. This engine doesn't have your regular push/pull type choke on it, it is some kind of acctuator. What happens is that there is a needle inside that when not in the choke mode is down blocking the passage and when it is in choke mode the needle rises to allow fuel to go by.

I was wondering if anyone knew how I can test this? Ohm tester? put juice to it and see if it works? The part number is 827473M. It is round black and has 2 wires coming off. If it is bad I need to replace it right away as Mercury doesn't make anymore and the shop I called only has 1 in stock. Thanks.

Shadow662

Seaman
Re: 1998 9.9 Merc 4 stroke starting help

Just to give an update in case anyone else finds the same problems I have. Mercury doesn't make hardly any parts for this motor. In fact the power head is a 1993 Yamaha. Wonder how much the Mercury sticker cost the original owner lol. Anyway if your looking for parts for this motor check yamahas website for a 1993 F9.9MLHR. The good news are the parts are cheaper. I bought a front support for my top cowling that cost me in the range of $150 including shipping the same part is 43 from yamaha. and that "starter assembly" I need is $107 from Mercury but NLA. Yamaha has it for $79.00.

islandJT

Recruit
Re: 1998 9.9 Merc 4 stroke starting help

I have a 1997 9.9 4-stroke and am searching for answers to the same questions you have. Did the replacement solenoid work?

Thanks for the tip about Yamaha part number.