Marine Heating

RisqueBznss

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Marine Heating

ah interesting. I have a cruiser w/ heat but no generator ( i think they are around $5k installed?) so its only on shore power. Wonder what applications there are like this to draw heat off motor(heat exchanger?) while underway. There is plenty of "cool" boating to do in MN :)

Also, I saw in some used boat ad, a guy had 3 high cap glass mat batteries and an inverter sized enough to run his A/C for few hours and probably same with heat, without a generator. Any input on the cost and viability of this?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I haven't used the products you're talking about,...
But,...
It's relatively Easy to plumb in a hotwater heater into a cabin, or cockpit of a boat....
I've done a few using cab heater units out of Mack truck/ tractors...
They'll blow 3 speeds thru the common vent, as well as 2, 3" vent lines....

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class

where do you get mac truck heaters? Any pics of your instillation?

Bondo

Staff member

Unfortunately, No pictures....
I got the cab heaters from an outfit in Ohio that converts Mack chassis's into firetrucks....
Under-seat Bus heaters will work nicely too...
Pretty much any heater that's reasonably self contained will work...
The "R" model Mack heaters work well because the Whole thing is only about 12"x 12"x 15"....

In the 222 Hi-Liner, I put the heater box into the passenger seat box....
Nothing to See other than a Switch,+ the vent holes in the seat box...
A super quick search brought This up,... There's 3 or 4 suitable Heaters on this page...

Tommyfmu

Seaman

Has any one used this? What do you recommend to extend our boating season?

I have no experience with this unit but I'm reminded of the hot water heater I just replaced where I have 120vac for shore power, and the option for connecting circulation from the engine to heat the hot water heater. Everyone I asked said not to hook up the engine circulation because it ends up taking a big toll in corrosion on the water heater. I imagine the same toll would take place on this heater before long.

Bondo

Staff member

Everyone I asked said not to hook up the engine circulation because it ends up taking a big toll in corrosion on the water heater. I imagine the same toll would take place on this heater before long.

Ayuh,... That depends on the water you're boating in....
Salt,... Don't do it....
But,...
Webster Ny. is a Long ways from any Saltwater...