On the lake now! Lost reverse

Xesvuli420

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Reverse has been working fine until now. I try to put it In gear and all you hear is a clicking like its not fully engaging. I will be here for another hour while my friend fishes, and I have tools. Hopefully you guys can guide me through investigating the problem before I head back to dock

I do not have to leave in an hour if I am wrenching. I'm not on any time schedule.

P.s. My first boat so use laymans please.

1987 dixie bandit
3.0 omc cobra

anything else just ask!

Thanks everyone!

Knightgang

Lieutenant
Re: On the lake now! Lost reverse

Wow, posting on the forum, WHILE on the water with a technical issue and hoping to resolve it before you head back to dock... Gotta be a first on iboats.

Well, maybe not... We can do some inventive things...

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Couple of things to check...

Shift cable connections at the shifter. Make sure they are not loose or that the sheilding is not moving with the inner cable...

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I am not sure how the shift setup is for that outdrive. You might try looking behind the engine and following the shift cables. There may be linkage on the inner components of the drive system that you can check the cables and connections there as well. Loose connections, cable sleeve sliding, etc...

Beyond that, not much more I can think of until you can put it on land and pull the outdrive if it not a cable/linkage issue that I have already mentioned....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

More than likely your lower shift cable has failed. Don't run your boat anymore until you get it fixed. Fortunately, forward is working so get back to where you launched and bring it home.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I was thinking that might be his situation... but was offering advice hoping that was not it...

Like he said, get it back and home to diagnose...

robert graham

Admiral

Probably a shift/cable adjustment issue. The good news is that you lost reverse instead of forward, so you don't have to back it all the way to the ramp/dock! Good Luck!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Usually when it is that far out, it is way more than an adjustment issue.

Xesvuli420

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys it was an adjustment issue! Problem solved

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Thanks guys it was an adjustment issue! Problem solved

For now!

When you get back, take a look at the cable housing as it enters the drive. Look at it from the starboard side with the drive tilted up. That is where the cable housing starts to fail. Sure your adjustment took care of it now but if the housing has started to fail, it won't last long. I have been through 4 of these cables and that has been my experience.

The fact that you lost reverse first is also an indication.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Glad we could help you out to get home safe...

Like Bruce said, once you start having adjustment issues, the cable is starting to fail. Will need to be replaced soon...

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've seen a few of the "Need help FAST" posts, but this one takes the cake. With feedback to boot!

Good job guys!

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

mine did that last year i just slid the cable up the slotted arc a little and that fixed it. if the cable is shifts easy try adjusting first otherwise replace.