electric shifter/ignition problem ?

daveyd

Recruit
I have an '84, 40 hp/2 carb elec Mariner. cannot get power to engine to start with the shift lever in the upright and proper position. Sometimes have had what seems to be a problem in getting the lever in the EXACT upright position to get it to fire, but could always do so and we are good to go.
Now I cannot seem to find the right point. Then I can pull to start with the key on, of course. I thought the ignition switch was bad when the key turned to the start ( spring-loaded ) position, but kinda think I have a selection point problem in the shifter/start box, somewhere. Please help if you can. I'm thinking I don't have a bad issue here, but need a fix for sure.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: electric shifter/ignition problem ?

Inside the control box is a spring loaded switch (yellow wire w?red trace) that opens when depressed when NOT in Neutral to prevent starting in gear.

Sounds a lot like the spring inside this switch has failed and you need to test it to be sure before ordering a new switch. While inside the box also test the ignition switch to be sure that is not failing to energize that yellow w/red wire when turned to start.

It is one or the other, find out before ordering NON-returnable electrical parts.

daveyd

Recruit

Charles...thanks for the advice. Are the parts readily available for this fix ? Would you suspect I could do it on my own ? This motor turns over so easily, I could make it through the late fall with hand starting, and attend to it in the Spring. Would you suggest not to do that ? Regards, Dave

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

When is up to you.

There is NO problem with leaving well enough alone.

The ignition switch is two systems within the one switch.

First is the ignition itself, a 'ground-to-kill' the mag type ignition that runs the motor. It connects the engines ignition to ground when in the Off position and shuts off spark to kill the motor.

Second is the starter circuit that momentarily connects the battery to the starter relay (thru the starter lock-out switch) when turned to Start.

If you don't have any problem pull starting the motor you can leave it indefinitely, the electric starter is just a convenience.

daveyd

Recruit

Charles, I think I am good to go with your kind assist. I know a little about electricity....enough to be humbled when someone such as you, who has the knowledge, offers an explanation. I am so curious now I'm compelled to take a cautious look inside the box.......but not out on the lake. Ya think I can find appropriate parts OK ? Dave

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

If you cannot locate a needed part here on iboats then your local dealer should be able to get it for you.

If it is an obsolete part then try Seaway Marine in Seattle, he has a LOT of old stuff.

daveyd

Recruit

Charlie...I found my battery to be very low and charged it up to make sure I did not add to the problem. I found that when I actuate the key, I get an audible little click at the engine....not unlike a typical starter solenoid in an auto. but pretty faint. Does this point to a different resolution to my problem ?
As an aside, I cannot discern where to go on the iBOAT site to potentially find a this shifter box(parts) or a schematic. Any more helpful hints very much appreciated. Dave D.