Drain Engine By Running It???

thedukeryan

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had a conversation last weekend with a guy I run into from time to time on the lake. To make conversation we started talking about our boats. I asked if he had his winterized yet and he said he just pours some stabil in and runs it for a few minutes and calls it good. I asked about the water in the block and he said he just drains it by running the engine dry. Does this make any since? The guy is pretty maxed out as far as funds so maybe he is just to cheap to do it correctly. He claims he has been doing this since he bought it three years ago with no ill affects. With that said he has a 2000 or 2001 bow rider that looks worse than many boats 3-4 times its age.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Drain Engine By Running It???

outboard? he can do that, and all will survive if he is lucky.

inboard? no way if it will see freezing temps

QC

Supreme Mariner

Where?

allinmygarage

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Maybe he has closed cooling with antifreeze and is very confused on how it works :).

But seriously if he runs it dry he is going to trash an impeller which will lead to much bigger problems.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

He might, but i would never... Run an impeller without water, guanateed way to trash it...

My granddad always told me, DO NOT run an engine without water or oil... But run it without gass all you want to...

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer

He might, but i would never... Run an impeller without water, guanateed way to trash it...

My granddad always told me, DO NOT run an engine without water or oil... But run it without gass all you want to...

I wouldn?t do it either. You?ll ruin your starter, unless battery goes dead first. :)

Maclin

Admiral

One might surmise from the name the duke ryan that you are a Nolan Ryan fan and are in Texas somewhere, and that would make a difference in any answer given if you are far enough south.

My opinion: Your friend has been lucky, but I bet the boat does not feel all that lucky!

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

Not a good practice. It will eventually catch up with him.

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As a way to winterize, has anybody dropped their sterndrive in a large container of 50/50 AF to Water? Obviously with the inlets well under water, and you would run it until the mix cycled through the engine and out the exhaust.

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

As a way to winterize, has anybody dropped their sterndrive in a large container of 50/50 AF to Water? Obviously with the inlets well under water, and you would run it until the mix cycled through the engine and out the exhaust.

How do you know the thermostat opened up to let the mix circulate through the engine? If it doesn't then you risk a cracked block, better to drain it first whether you want to use antifreeze or not.

thedukeryan

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you run the engine on a hose/muffs for a while to warm it up before hand and then switch it over to anti freeze you should be fine. You could probably run it in a bucket for a while as well. Dont just fire it up for a few seconds then shut it down and call it good.

MTribe08

How do you know the thermostat opened up to let the mix circulate through the engine? If it doesn't then you risk a cracked block, better to drain it first whether you want to use antifreeze or not.

You have a good point.. I was thinking that at the point you saw a AF/Water mix coming back out, it would have made it through the entire engine.

Maclin

Admiral

The methods you guys are describing that do not involve draining the block and manifolds first are ok if the climate only goes down to 0 degrees centigrade.

Ok, I admit that was somewhat fecitious.

In my opinion ya gotta drain the block and manifolds first before introducing the antifreeze mix, or just leave them drained.

Bondo

Staff member

If you run the engine on a hose/muffs for a while to warm it up before hand and then switch it over to anti freeze you should be fine. You could probably run it in a bucket for a while as well.

Ayuh,... Whatdaya Think the T-Stat does as soon as that cold antifreeze hits it,..??
It Closes, diverting the antifreeze to the risers,+ Out the exhaust....

Have you checked on just how Big a bucket you'd need to sink an Outdrive,..??
Muchless how many gallons of antifreeze it would take to fill it to above the intakes,..?? :rolleyes:

Drain it Dry,+ call it a season..... Air don't freeze....;)

MTribe08

Ayuh,... Whatdaya Think the T-Stat does as soon as that cold antifreeze hits it,..??

Muchless how many gallons of antifreeze it would take to fill it to above the intakes,..?? :rolleyes:

That about says it all.:D:D

freddyray21

Commander

drain the block. A manual will tell you how and it's not hard. Air won't freeze. On the last run of the year I fill it full and add stabil. When I get home I drain the block and the manifold and I am done. Been doing it that was for years and never had it freeze. BTW the boat is a 1972 with original engine.

thedukeryan

Petty Officer 1st Class

My point is that if you do have a big bucket it can be done. I figure 30 gallons or so should do it. Not practical for doing one boat but I have 6 boats myself and some friends as well. I can get it for about $2.50/gallon for RV -50. I can say that 30-40 gallons for one boat is a waste but for 6 boats I would not hesitate. I am gonna give this some thought for next year. The only issue I can think of with 6 boats is the possibility that it may get deluded and I would have to add some antifreeze concentrate.

MTribe08

drain the block. A manual will tell you how and it's not hard. Air won't freeze. On the last run of the year I fill it full and add stabil. When I get home I drain the block and the manifold and I am done. Been doing it that was for years and never had it freeze. BTW the boat is a 1972 with original engine.
Yea..even though I'm in Phoenix where it rarely gets down near freezing, yesterday I pulled both block drain plugs and the manifold plugs. Heading to NYC for a few days and don't want something to sneak up on me. I was just asking if anybody did it that way.