Tail light converter, Powered or unpowered?

skongolf

Seaman
I have a Lexus RX 300 that we use to tow our boat to the lake and back and recently the trailer lights stoped working. We traced the issue to the Tail light converter box in the car. Its circuit protected and rated at 15 amps and has 4 wires running into it the the trailer lights out. Basically buying a factory replacement is around $100. I know I can buy an aftermarket that will work, but some are powered and others are not. I really don't want to have to run a wire to the battery if I don't have to since the factory one isn't powered from a direct wire to the battery. Just wanted some thoughts. I am looking at a CURT circuit protected converter by the way.
Thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tail light converter, Powered or unpowered?

You should be able to find one that doesn't require a seperate power connection.

skongolf

Seaman

I have found a few, just wondering if that is the best route to go.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

No reason not too. The only drawback would be that to power the circuitry inside, they run both the stop and turn through diodes to power up the logic and drive transistor inside so the Voltage to the bulb will be slightly lower. Not a big deal!

Bifflefan

Commander

Whay not ditch the converter and go with a 5 wire system. then you can put some of those cool flashing ones for the turn signals on the trailer and have seperate brake lights.
I like them anyway... Im trying to figure a way to convert mine over to a 5 wire.

surge006

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you can get a standard 4 way system with a power box basically just a fuze inside it with more technoligy from uhaul, if yours has a box you can just cut and splice the new box in with your old wires

Knightgang

Lieutenant

The non powered would be the way to go. Pick it up at most any autoparts store... Spice the wires straight into the factory connections that go to your old box. Will work just fine...