Merc '71 & '73 115s

HookMaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a '71 115 that I am going to try and get running and for sure it will need a lot of wires replaced. I have found a '73 for sale for parts cheap. Are the motor wires the same for these years so I can switch them out ?

Thanks,

Don

Moody Blue

Captain
Re: Merc '71 & '73 115s

If you are planning on buying the '73 motor JUST for the wiring, then don't waste your money. It will have the same wiring issues. All those old Mercs had cancer of the wire.

But to answer your question, yes they will be the same harness. Might not be a bad idea to get it for other parts though. Parts are getting harder to find and they are expensive.

I have three 1971 Merc 800's. One is a runner and two are parts motors.

cannonford57

Petty Officer 1st Class

hook,the internal harness is available through a couple of aftermarket outlets..less than 200.00 maybe worth checking into to,good luck

daveswaves

Ensign

If you are planning on buying the '73 motor JUST for the wiring, then don't waste your money. It will have the same wiring issues. All those old Mercs had cancer of the wire.

But to answer your question, yes they will be the same harness. Might not be a bad idea to get it for other parts though. Parts are getting harder to find and they are expensive.

I have three 1971 Merc 800's. One is a runner and two are parts motors.

Just remember the bolt pattern for the powerhead to the lower unit changed after 72, so your 73 parts motor block will not bolt up to your 71 lower end and visa versa. Just keep that in mind when you are pricing the parts motor. wiring harness is available on ebay.