Tabs On Thrust Washer

UNjim

Cadet
1956 30hp Johnson-lower unit gear case. There are ears or tabs (2) on the thrust washer in the gear case. Do they need to be in any certain position when I put it back together and what are they for? THANKS for ANY HELP

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Tabs On Thrust Washer

Are you referring to the cradle for the clutch dog? The 2 slots face downward and the shift yoke goes into them, then the phillips screw goes into the cradle to hold it in place.

lowerunti.jpg

Look at the bottom of the lower unit 50,51,52, this isn't for your motor but similar I imagine.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If I recall, those tabs go up & down and fit into cavities in the housing. All they do is keep the thrust washer from spinning with the gear...

UNjim

Cadet

BK-no the thrust washer is between the reverse gear and prop. Chinewalker may be right I do remember slots or cavities on upper and lower halves of the gear case. I'll see if they line up. THANKS

F_R

Supreme Mariner

BK-no the thrust washer is between the reverse gear and prop. Chinewalker may be right I do remember slots or cavities on upper and lower halves of the gear case. I'll see if they line up. THANKS

While you are at it, notice that the snap ring is not flat on both sides. Neither is the groove that it fits into. Assemble accordingly.