Engine and Outdrive are winterized, but some related miscellaneous open questions

Philster

Captain
My 26' Scarab and its 502 Mercruiser and Bravo One are winterized/serviced for the winter. I have dropped the drive down to its lowest setting. The boat is gutted of everything. Tank is 7/8 full and treated. Engine is fogged.

As I am sitting here at work (dreaming of spring already!), I realize I need to do a couple of things before it gets really cold here in the NE USA.

I need to pull the battery out of the Scarab and store it on a nice cozy shelf and keep it topped off. Okay, the battery is under the hydraulic/power engine hatch. So, how do I lower the hatch once the battery is out? Disconnect the hatch lifts??

What is the general consensus on what to do with my outdrive? I coated it with light oil, and lowered it. It has fresh gear oil in it. Do I cover it? Should I?

Besides the basic winterization, what do other obsessive types do over the winter or before the winter that goes above and beyond the "MUST DO" list for winterization?

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: Engine and Outdrive are winterized, but some related miscellaneous open questions

Yes disconnect the hatch lifts and lower them if needed before pulling battery. If closed cooled make sure the antifreeze is strong enough for the lowest temps in your area. If you have any kind of fresh water system in the boat drain or add RV antifreeze. No need to cover O/D but you can if you want. 'nutcase