fast idle lever problem

83seanymph

Recruit
I have a 2004 40ELPTO. This issue started last season a couple time and has progressively been getting worse. When starting cold if you lift the fast idle lever past the halfway point the engine has no power. This problem has lost the full effect of the fast idle for cold starting to say the least. I am not positive but it seems like a bad neutral saftey switch, but I don't know if it is. Any ideas on what this could be and a remedy for it would be appreciated.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: fast idle lever problem

Welcome to iboats!!

Have you looked under the engine cover? It almost sounds as if the linkage has a bend in it. I would have someone operate the cold start lever and watch the actions under the cover. It is only for starting and should never work while you are in gear.

83seanymph

Recruit
Re: fast idle lever problem

Thanks for the welcome! I've tried what you suggested with my son working the lever while I looked under the cover. The cables seem to work fine with noticible binding. Although I havn't tried using the cold start lever with cover off that day I was in the driveway hooked to the flusher. Just my observance it seems the cable does not do alot except to adjust the idle I could not see the cable contact anything else maybe the problem is in the control box that shuts the power off to the engine.