Outboard won't start

Mark Perez

Recruit
My 90 hp Mariner will not start. The last time I used it it was slow to start but ran great the rest of the day.
It always seemed very hard to start at first but started fine the rest of the day...like the timing was advanced. But it ran to good to be out of time.
But now with all batterys fully charged all I get is a click. Won't even turn over....Help me!
Does it have a solenoid?

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Outboard won't start

Yes it will have a solinoid. I'd check your connections. Look for corosion, frayed wires or terminal post's that aren't tight. IF your batteries are good, then it should turn over. If it doesn't then its either poor connections, dead soliniod, shot starter....or your good battery really isn't any good.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Probably 90% of all starter rpoblems are due to bad cables, connections or battery.

Mark Perez

Recruit

Yes it will have a solinoid. I'd check your connections. Look for corosion, frayed wires or terminal post's that aren't tight. IF your batteries are good, then it should turn over. If it doesn't then its either poor connections, dead soliniod, shot starter....or your good battery really isn't any good.

I first took the battery to have it tested. Of course they said it tested bad so I baught a new battery. Still hade the same problem with new battery. I wish I would have read your reply sooner. You are correct. I do have a bad solinoid.....Thanks