water pump

drscott6

Recruit
I am working on a 1961 Lark III 40 hp. I have discovered that the water pump housing has a break in the impeller chamber wall. I can't seem to find a replacement. I thought I might try to JB weld it back as I have the missing parts. Any thoughts.
Thanks
SS

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: water pump

worth a try
make sure the parts are thoroughly degreased. If you can very lightly abrade the broken surfaces. Clamp firmly together until the adhesive is set (Elastic bands probably ... or what ever you call them in your part of the world.

The pump does not have an internal cup does it? You'll have to be sure the break is perfectly aligned and you'll have to clean off surplus adhesive carefully from where the impeller runs

I'm not familiar with JB weld ... not commonly available in the UK as far as i know ... I know it is a 2 part epoxy and I believe it contains a metal powder. I would I think prefer to use a plain epoxy without the metal powder filler. I would not use a rapid setting variety and I would warm things up a little to get the adhesive to flow.

crabbydad

Petty Officer 3rd Class

several years ago my drive shaft broke and broke part of the pump housing off. i had the shaft fixed and put the boat away for the winter. the next spring, the engine ran hot. the powerhead was getting water at low rpm, as soon as i opened it up only a trickle of water made it up. i pulled the lower unit and used marine tex to build the wall back up. i used cardboard to support it until it dried. this cured my overheating process.

stephen13

Cadet

JB Weld, properly mixed and applied, is wonderful stuff.

I used it with a bit of window screen to patch a hole made by a broken connecting rod in the crankcase of a riding mower 3 summers ago.

It's still holding oil and cutting grass.

Best Wishes

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

JB Weld is great stuff but the water pump housing for a 40hp should be easy to come by. Did you try your local OMC dealer? Whereabouts are you?

Elbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Get a new one or buy a paddle.See what I mean.Where will you be if it over heats.