Tandem axle dilemma

jjdoro2

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 22' aluminum boat on a tandem axle trailer. My parking area is very tight. I want to be able to turn (pivot) the trailer so the tongue is pointing in a different direction. With my old boat, a single axle 17 ft, it was a snap. But I guess the tandem doesn't have a single pivot point so things get difficult. I'm thinking that maybe if I put a floor jack under one of the axles and raised it a little that then I could push it around with one of those hand trailer dolley's (it's on a slight incline so I have to be careful about that too). Does that seem feasible or does anyone have any other ideas on how to do this? Thanks

ZmOz

Captain
Re: Tandem axle dilemma

What about some of those things with wheels you can put under car tires? I forget what they are called...but you put one under each tire and they have nice smooth rolling casters underneath.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You are up against one of the biggest disadvantages of tandem rigs, BR.<br /><br />I think I would use a front mounted ball on my truck, which makes maneuvering and parking a much more accurate exercise.<br /><br />Good luck :)

jjdoro2

Seaman Apprentice

Great ideas those are both interesting possibilities. I never thought of a front mounted ball - that might work. I was actually considering building a large diameter turntable that I could back all the rear tires onto (like a giant lazy susan) similar to what ZM Oz suggests. I actually found one on the internet that is made in England http://www.driveaway.turntable.co.uk/car_turntables.html <br />Way way too expensive though, I think like around $10k. I think I once saw what Zm Oz is talking about the discs that go under the tires but can't find them anywhere. Not sure if I would need one big disc or 4 small discs (one for each tire) Thanks (if anyone knows where they sell those tire discs let me know I'd like to try if it's not too expensive). For now I think the front mounted ball is the most doable.

rivercat49

Seaman Apprentice

I just saw what i beleive are called wheel dollies at harbor freight this past saturday. You could check on line there or possibly at northern tool. Ron

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't think that a manual trailer dolly will do your job. I have a good one, and it is fine for my 250 lb. boat.<br /><br />But, there is no way that I could move my 22' aluminum cuddy with it. Just too much inertia. You can buy a power dolly for about $1K. Those have been mentioned, (with their websites) in some previous posts this year.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Try removing the air out of two of the tires while manuvering into place. Check load rating before attempting this.<br /><br />You now in effect have a single axel trailer

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I think that I know the the dolly carts that you are talking about to put under your trailer tires. THey are the ones that people use to put the classic restoration project on sot hat they can move it around the garage easily. I have seen them in varios places and we even have a guy selling them at our local flee market (pretty inexpensive). Of course, you can buy almost anything at our flee market, and it is a real zoo on the weekends. <br /><br />Back to the topic, I think they would work real well, it would just be a pain to jack up the trailer and put it on the dollies.<br /><br />Here is a link to a set like I think you are talking about. http://www.brandsonsale.com/car-wheel-dolly.html They would be an enexpensive alternative to what you are trying to do. And I am sure you could come up with other uses as well.<br /><br />Knightgang

poolshark38759

Petty Officer 2nd Class

they make those wheel dollies that have a rollers that meet the tire and a jack that will sqeeze and lift the tire.....they work great i saw a guy of slightly bigger than average move a 1ton dualley truck with a set by himself in a garage....

jjdoro2

Seaman Apprentice

Pointer94 and Knightgang thanks for your brainstorming. Those car-wheel dollies are just the thing I was looking for. I tried every keyword I could think of in my internet searches but never thought of "car-wheel dolly" Have lots of options now, thanks again to all.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

hydro sits on a tandem trailer, and with a 125 JohnnyRude on the back she was hand manueverable, I didnt find the extra exle impossible to work with<br /><br />of course at the time, I was a mid twenties Hercules, but I dont recall it being all that difficult<br /><br />except the time it sunk down in the mud a bit, lol, but anything gets dicey then