Respecting the flag

WizeOne

Commander
Re: Respecting the flag

It's a shame but fasionable today to disrespect. It must be in the water.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Water, I bet that infectious virus has gotten airborne...

I would be furious of that as well. So, it is not a 3x5' flag or larger that is hoisted on a Flagpole, but it is a flag none the less... Proper respect should be delivered.

Heck, there is even a way to properly respect the flag to burn one... And with respect is the only way the flag should be handled...

I would have said something to the grounds supervisor...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I don't think it is a matter of fashion. I think it is just ignorance and indifference.

Still, it makes me sad. :(

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Too many people with little respect................ For anything nowadays.....

TilliamWe

Banned

It probably won't help you all, but you should know that at my son's preschool, they taught them the Pledge of Allegiance!
I didn't know it until one day I can home and he just showed me. I was very proud!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Thank you for correcting someones ignorance.

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have to claim a little ignorance, but respect the flag nevertheless. In my humble opinion, those flags should have been burned (the respectful way), not stood up and displayed.

My dad is and I were driving down the road, we saw a flag (3 x 5 version) on the road. He had me pull over so he could walk back to pick it up. He folded it with dignity in preparation for a proper disposal/burning (with ceremony).

There's a lot of ignorance going around, and that's sad.:mad:

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Don't be suprised that the way things are going that OUR flag will be changing too, some jerk in office will probably get the bright idea to re-design OUR flag. It's ashame what has happened to "OUR AMERICA" I liked it just the way it was, I am holding on to OUR values as tight as I can, nomatter how bad they mess things up, Yes America is our country, but I grew up to believe it was also an idea, who we are as a people. Just no respect anymore. I hope you stood those flags good and solid.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

We get a new flag every few months at work for our flagpole, and now the boy scouts wont even take the old ones to discard them. hmm. They had said they didnt have the resources available to dispose of them. I taught my daughter how to raise it and fold it, without it touching the ground.

mscher

Lieutenant

It's just reality.

American flags are EVERYWHERE! Big, small, Tshirts, key chains, picnic napkins, motorcycle helmets, underwear. Is it any wonder that taking a reverred national symbol and plastering it all over the place, would not dilute it's meaning and the respect it deserves?

It is possible that whoever left the small plastic flags on the ground, would never lower one from a flagpole and throw it down. It's just another part of our over-dosed society. You can't just look a a flag on a flagpole anymore. There has to be 2000 of them, not only placed, but now will need to be properly removed and stored.

No need to be angry though. Our flag stands for a lot more, than just an often neglected piece of cloth.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I would venture a guess that the landscaping crew simply forgot to replace them after maintaining the property:mad:

The "folks" doing that type of work may not have the same appreciation for our flag and what is symbolizes to those of us that have military backgrounds/family, a firm grasp on the history of our nation...etc

Maybe a few words with the head maint supervisor would change this for the future...I doubt he reads threads on iboats.

cheburashka

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Don't be suprised that the way things are going that OUR flag will be changing too, some jerk in office will probably get the bright idea to re-design OUR flag. It's ashame what has happened to "OUR AMERICA" I liked it just the way it was, I am holding on to OUR values as tight as I can, nomatter how bad they mess things up, Yes America is our country, but I grew up to believe it was also an idea, who we are as a people. Just no respect anymore. I hope you stood those flags good and solid.

I also agree that it's a shame what has happened to "OUR AMERICA." However, I get nostalgic about a different era--probably one that doesn't suit your fancy. I see the late '40s and early '50s as the low point of what was done in the name of our flag, and recently I've seen a dangerous backslide toward the spirit of that era and those abuses of the fine ideals of this country.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

We get a new flag every few months at work for our flagpole, and now the boy scouts wont even take the old ones to discard them. hmm. They had said they didnt have the resources available to dispose of them. I taught my daughter how to raise it and fold it, without it touching the ground.

You are permitted to dispose of it by fire but "with dignity" or normally the local Legion or VFW might accept them for disposal (they do around here).

With dignity means a fire dedicated for that purpose of cremation which actually means a small fire for that purpose and no other purpose. Disposal should be performed when the flag is no longer serviceable.... it is to be treated as a living thing until properly disposed.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

I also agree that it's a shame what has happened to "OUR AMERICA." However, I get nostalgic about a different era--probably one that doesn't suit your fancy.

Your probably right, My veiw of "Our America" and era was get into the Trades, Bust your butt,Work hard, Do good and you'll have a good life. That's what was drilled into me from a very young age, and have been doing so ever since, "Living The American Dream". Just seemed like to me we are losing "Our America" or at least "My belief system" of what America is to me.