75 25hp evinrude

new motor with electric start, there is one wire that isn't connected to anything inside the motor. I checked the manual and it is supposed to go to the starter motor bracket? is this the ground on the starter motor housing? It isn't cracking so I am trying to trouble shoot. thanks

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 75 25hp evinrude

With out a photo to look at, it could be the neutral lock-out switch. Just touch it to ground, and see if the engine will crank over.

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

It may be the wire to the start safety switch. The safety switch prevents you from starting the motor with the throttle opened too far. The engine will not crank with the key if it is the safety switch wire and it is disconnect.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

The switch is connected to the gear shift linkage, not the throttle.

I touched it to the soleniod ground and nothing happened. Where is the switch in the gear linkage? The wire was laying right by the gear selector when I found it.

Thanks.

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

What color is the wire? Perhaps you should trace the wire back to its source.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

There is a vertical lever that run's all the way up to the mag plate. It let's the plate go to full advance when the gear selector is in forward. The switch is located behind this lever. The switch has a plunger controlled by the movement of this lever. It could be this switch is missing. Ground the wire directly to the block. The engine should crank over if all else is correct. Will the engine crank with the jumper wire's direct to the starter?

Ok thanks I will check that, I suspect it is missing because I looked for it quite a bit, my manual doesn't have a diagram of it. This must be a normally closed switch then?

I tired jumping the starter motor and nothing so I know that needs to be rebuilt(big surprise) but I am trying figure out if any other parts need replacement. I bought this motor for $300 used without spark, in very good cond. 2 points and condensors later it was runinng very well but the starting circuit wiring was redone at one point so now I am trying to get it going again.

jasper60103

Commander

Here is a starter circuit diagram. I not sure if this will help you or not. If you have the neutral safety switch then point #1 will be grounded through the switch.
Also, if you have a push button switch, it will be wired between points #3 and #6 and you can ignore the key switch above.

starterwiring.jpg

OK, took the starter motor apart and the commutator was complettly covered in brush dust, cleaned and put back together and it works.

Hooked up the solenoid and it would "click" but it wouldn't transfer the voltage, I was able to jump motor to turn the starter. I have heard as long as the solenoid clicks it should be alright but I am assuming its shot right?

Elbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is a black utility ground that goes to the starter bracket.On ur starter solenoid there should be ground that goes to the case,the other one is a hot.On top of the solenoid are two terminals.The one going to the case is the ground the other is the hot.To check it take some jumper cables and ground the head ,pan whatever you can get a good ground on.Clip a wire on the hot post of ur cables and touch it to the hot poll on the solenoid.If it is good the starter will engage.

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

Hooked up the solenoid and it would "click" but it wouldn't transfer the voltage, I was able to jump motor to turn the starter. I have heard as long as the solenoid clicks it should be alright but I am assuming its shot right?

Solenoid is not always "alright" if it clicks.

The solenoid actually has two circuits running through it. A low amp circuit, which runs through the ignition switch and small terminals on the solenoid. If this circuit is working, the solenoid will click. This circuit activates an electromagnet in the solenoid. The electromagnet moves a piece of ferrous metal in the solenoid to complete the high amp circuit (represented by the battery cables and large terminals on the solenoid). The high amp circuit connects the battery to the starter motor and provides power for cranking. The "click is just the ferrous metal striking the heavy current contacts.

If the solenoid internal contacts are dirty or corroded no current will go through the high amp circuit --> no starter spin, just clicking --> solenoid is toast.

However, if the battery cables or heavy solenoid terminals are dirty or corroded, this will also cause the solenoid to "click" and the starter not spin. Therefore, check the condition of the cables and connections before you replace the solenoid.

Sorry, for the long winded post. I believe understanding is more important than just replacing parts.