1988 mercury 115hp 6 cyl HELP!!!

So i recently wrote on this forum about my motor not running over 2000 rpms. So i replaced the stator and had the carbs cleaned. I changed all the fuel lines over to ethanol capatible material. The power head has 30 hrs,also put in a new fuel filer as well. I took the boat out and it ran great. Its only a 16 ft sea ray and i was only gettig 33mph top end at WOT. I have three different props, none are stamped though. I was wondering if anybofy knew what is the correct prop gor this motor on a 16 ft boat, for top speed. Also, as i ran the boat for a couple weeks, i started to realize some mid range problems i cant figure out. The boat runs great at idle sppeds and at top end. When i go fishing and get to the spot and turn the engine off, it will start right back up, but when i put it in gear it will shut off, or bog down when i take off. Or when im pulling someone on a tube, i really have to ease into the throttle really slow to get up to speed. If i try to hole shot the boat bogs down and shuts off as well. So i changed the prop over again and now i have less top end, more torque but i cant even pull a skiir up without it boggging down or stalling. I can still get to top speed but i have to ease into the throttle slowly. Does this sound like a prop pitch angle or fuel problem!

ugadawg187

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1988 mercury 115hp 6 cyl HELP!!!

You want a prob that at wot the motor is at its reccomended max rpm range. My 4 cyl 115 mariner wot is 5250 but im not sure about the 115 6cyl outboards. wot = wide open throttle

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like your carbs need to be "fine tuned". This cannot be done on those inlines, except in the water. Also if the carbs were removed and rebuilt you need to do a link n sync, (if that was not already done). Here's a link for you to check out.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=168855

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer

You want a prob that at wot the motor is at its reccomended max rpm range. My 4 cyl 115 mariner wot is 5250 but im not sure about the 115 6cyl outboards. wot = wide open throttle

I'd aim for 5500 rpm on his at WOT.