1973 evinrude 18hp

Fishtangler

Recruit
i have a 1973 evinrude 18 hp and i need cylinder head assembly spark plug striped out and i was wondering where i could get one thanks tom

GeneH

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1973 evinrude 18hp

There are repair kits available at auto parts stores where you can install a bushing by oversizing the existing hole and tapping it. This can be done without removing the head although it is hard to remove all the chips with the head installed. If you haven't yet removed the head, this may be easier and cheaper.

14ftgrumman

Chief Petty Officer

No need to replace the head.
Take the head to an automotive machine shop and have them install a HeliCoil. It will be stronger than original. I have a 25HP that is running that way.
Make sure that you replace the head gasket with a new one, cleaning off the mounting surfaces and torque the head to the correct torque. You should be able to rent a torque wrench at an Aut Zone or buy an inexpensive one at Harbor Freight. Try to get a 3/8's drive that reads in in/lb, altho it is easy to convert in/lb to ft/lb.

By removing the head, you will make sure that no metal gets into the engine innards. And not to mention, it's a lot easier to handle.

Fishtangler

Recruit

i have just ordered a new cover and gasket for 105 shipped

Last edited: