gear oil line replace that goes to out drive

baywest

Recruit
Has any one ever replaced do i need to remove bell housing it is a bravo one and it is the line that runs from the transom to the out drive if so it looks as if i will need the tool to remove the two bolts on the gimbel ring that are at the tilt and trim pivot point any help would appreciate.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: gear oil line replace that goes to out drive

you do not need to remove the bell housing but it is much easier to do with the drive off

be very careful removing the old hose, the barbs are plastic and can snap off quite easily

i use a razor knife and slice the hose lengthwise at the barbs to ensure the barbs do not break

baywest

Recruit

you do not need to remove the bell housing but it is much easier to do with the drive off

be very careful removing the old hose, the barbs are plastic and can snap off quite easily

i use a razor knife and slice the hose lengthwise at the barbs to ensure the barbs do not break

Thanks for the info is there a name for this hose my manuals do not even show the oil line just the water line. went on mercstuff .com still did not find i can see it has a pretty tight bend in it.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like you have an aftermarket manual that has little info in it, but costs you 35 to 40 bucks.
Have you looked at the Adults Only sticky at the top of this forum? There are links to the OEM service manuals you can download.
Just find the Bravo manual for whatever year Bravo you have.

havasuboatman

Ensign

What year is this Bravo drive? Are you just replacing the rubber hose that goes to the resivoir bottle? Unless it is pretty old, there is a quick disconnect on that hose where it attaches to the transom assy.
It'll be grey and black, or orange and black plastic. Push the button and pull off the hose and connecter.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What year is this Bravo drive? Are you just replacing the rubber hose that goes to the resivoir bottle? Unless it is pretty old, there is a quick disconnect on that hose where it attaches to the transom assy.
It'll be grey and black, or orange and black plastic. Push the button and pull off the hose and connecter.

There is a QD inside the boat. Outside is a clam and a hose on either a brass or plastic hose barb.
Designed to break and not be replaced without some wild contortions with a good sense of feel to reinstall the E clip on the inside of the transom shield. :eek:
Man I hate those things.:mad:

havasuboatman

Ensign

Ain't that the turth, I just pull the motor to replace the long go thru piece.
I thought he was in the engine compartment.

Fun Times

Staff member

Thanks for the info is there a name for this hose my manuals do not even show the oil line just the water line. went on mercstuff .com still did not find i can see it has a pretty tight bend in it.
You will need number 17 in this link for the hose.http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...91/9.png&inbr=1017&bnbr=50&bdesc=BELL+HOUSING

Also see part #'s 1 for the old style fitting and see part #6 for the new style fitting, In this next link. The #17 hose from the other link will hook up to one of the fitting going thourgh the transom area in this link. http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...=1943&bnbr=330&bdesc=OIL+RESERVOIR+COMPONENTS

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if the fitting on the aft side of the transom is plastic you have been forwarned they break very easy and are a bear to replace.
DonS is correct on the painful E clips.
I usually buy at least 3 clips cause when it springs its gone.
if that hose is dry rotted odds are the rest of the rubber parts are as well.
gimbal housing removal is simple and the special tool is a 4 inch length of half inch hex stock.
mine was cut from a pin punch.