1997 Doral 300SC Fuel Problem

JJdoral

Recruit
Need some help, recently topped off my fuel tank and had boat pulled for the winter. After sitting on land for approx one week I noticed fuel in the bilge and dripping out of the drain plug. Fuel appears to be coming from fuel tank between engine and aft cabin. No leaks are visible from engine compartment or aft cabin. Anyone have similar problem or ideas where I should start? ps. I purchase this boat new in 2007 and have been laying it up the same way each year!

Thanks for the help
JJ

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1997 Doral 300SC Fuel Problem

Hi There and welcome to iboats.
When you say you topped the fuel tank off is it really full ?? so full that it is leaking back through a breather somewhere ?? and finding the lowest point ??

JJdoral

Recruit

Thank you for the response. Yes, the tank was topped off,or full on fuel gauge. No visible fuel relief at ovwerflow pipe though. Fuel shows in bilge but apparent source of leak is not visible.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Is the boat stored fairly level ?? or is the bow way up for drainage ??

JJdoral

Recruit

The boat is relatively level. Leak is getting worse. Looks like the tank is leaking, anyone out there have any experience with replacement of fuel tank on a Doral 300 SC?
ps; I emailed Doral customer services a week ago and I'm still waiting for some advice!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

The boat is relatively level. Leak is getting worse. Looks like the tank is leaking, anyone out there have any experience with replacement of fuel tank on a Doral 300 SC?
ps; I emailed Doral customer services a week ago and I'm still waiting for some advice!

I would call them directly and jump up and down a little.
Hate to say it but you really should drain the tank to begin with. How much room do you have to remove it ???

JJdoral

Recruit

Received call from Doral yesterday and they put me in touch with original tank manufacturer. Tank is being emptied today, yard is still contimplating how they are going to replace the tank.Will advise you after tank is pulled and we find what caused the tank to fail.

JJDoral

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Good Luck with it all and keep us all posted please. Very interested to hear and see (photos if possible please) what the issue is.

scott93004

Recruit

Howdy,
I just bought a 1999 300 SCV. The original owner had a leak in one of the two saddle tanks, not the belly tank you are having trouble with. In order to replace the saddle tank, the motor would have to be pulled. He decided to abandon both saddle tanks and had a center takn fabricated that sits on the stringers right between the engines. The only probem with it is that it will have to be pulled out in order to get to the plugs, should they need changing. Fortunatley, the tank was designed to come out fairly easily. I'll post some pics if anyone is interested.
At some point, I may try to cut down the saddle tanks to remove them. It seems to me that it could be a benefit to have even a small crawl space on the outside of the engines for serviceability.