porposises in jamaica bay?

basspirate

Petty Officer 2nd Class
so i went out fishing this morning and was chasing a school of bass. we stopped to do some fishing and while sitting there saw a black fin about 6 inches high pop out of the water. it dissapeared so we moved to keep chasing the school. while repositioning ourselves we saw a whole bunch of fins start coming out of the water. i've never seen that before in jamaica bay. i dont know if they were sharks or porposes. pretty cool but no fish for us.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: porposises in jamaica bay?

Porpoises will not only stick their fins out of the water,but also their heads.You may have seen some tuna chasing the bass or possibly some shark.
Porpoises usually come in groups that can be 30 or 40 individuals.shark not commonly more than 3 or 4.Tuna can be a big school moving at high speed

basspirate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

soon as we saw them we did the logical thing which was to start casting towards them thinking they were sharks. then we realized they may be porpsises and we stopped. now that you mention it though they werent blowing any air so it probably was sharks or tuna. shoulda kept casting.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Porpoises usually come in groups that can be 30 or 40 individuals.

Could have been Dolphin as well. The average pod of Dolphin running around here usually numbers between 4-8 individuals.

rexrifle

Recruit

soon as we saw them we did the logical thing which was to start casting towards them thinking they were sharks. then we realized they may be porpsises and we stopped. now that you mention it though they werent blowing any air so it probably was sharks or tuna. shoulda kept casting.

basspirate - how could you possible confuse porpoises/dolphins with sharks????

you should REALLY be more informed before doing something so potentially harmful - not to mention illegal - as casting towards a marine mammal.

what is the boating world coming to???

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I grew up boating in Jamacia Bay and I have seen all of the above and even some really huge rays too. Anything is possible.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I grew up boating in Jamacia Bay and I have seen all of the above and even some really huge rays too. Anything is possible.

Did you ever see an ocean sunfish? Those guys seem to be totally oblivious and they just float around.

basspirate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

basspirate - how could you possible confuse porpoises/dolphins with sharks????

you should REALLY be more informed before doing something so potentially harmful - not to mention illegal - as casting towards a marine mammal.

what is the boating world coming to???

like i said as soon as we realized they might be porposies we stopped casting towards them

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

No I have never seen one...... they do look interesting.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

We have porpoises up here in the pacific northwest. I saw them often this summer chasing schools of salmon heading towards the river inlets to spawn.

They are very shy up here. The moment they realize there is a boat near they're gone.