Question on Winterization of my Mercruiser

WorldOfJohnboy

Seaman Apprentice
Ladies & Gents:

This is my first year of boat ownership, and I would like to save some money and piece of mind by winterizing my own boat. First of all, I have read all the DIY/Adults Only sections on winterization. My questions are specific to my situation and I didn't see any difinitive answers anywhere else.

My Boat: 1988 Raven Cuddy CC195, 4cyl Mercruiser I/O with a 1.98 ratio Alpha One drive unit. Over the past 3 months that I've owned it, here is what I have done (or had done) to the boat:

-Made the expensive mistake of running the motor without checking the outdrive lube. Upper and lower units completely shot. Found an EXCELLENT replacement (used) unit and put new grease, lube, gaskets, etc. in it. Also had to replace the exhaust bellows as they were cracked.

-Purchased new prop as the old one was probably the original and in rough shape.

-Head Gasket blown between 2nd & 3rd. Through diagnosis of that issue, I purchased a fuel cleaning agent (Sea Foam), 4 new spark plugs with cables, checked/cleaned fuel filter and purchased a compression testing device. I took it to the repair shop as I didn't have the tools, time, nor means to replace it myself. The repair shop replaced the gasket, changed the oil and oil filter and tested it on the water.

After I got it back from the head gasket repair, I have not taken the boat out at all. Now, keeping in mind that I've only had the boat running for about 2 hours since I purchased it (beginning of August), my questions on winterizing are the following:

-Can I omit changing the outdrive lube provided I check the level? (I still have some left from when I changed the drive unit in August in case it's low.)

-Can I safely omit changing the Oil/Filter considering the shop just did it in September and I have not run it since?

-I have a nearly empty tank of gas, and what's in there was treated with Sea Foam. Should I drain completely, or fill it up and put more stabalizers in it?

-Do I put environmentally safe anti-freeze in it, or do I just drain and clean thoroughly? (This seems to be a big debate no matter where I read.)

ErieRon

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Question on Winterization of my Mercruiser

Ladies & Gents:

This is my first year of boat ownership, and I would like to save some money and piece of mind by winterizing my own boat. First of all, I have read all the DIY/Adults Only sections on winterization. My questions are specific to my situation and I didn't see any difinitive answers anywhere else.

My Boat: 1988 Raven Cuddy CC195, 4cyl Mercruiser I/O with a 1.98 ratio Alpha One drive unit. Over the past 3 months that I've owned it, here is what I have done (or had done) to the boat:

-Made the expensive mistake of running the motor without checking the outdrive lube. Upper and lower units completely shot. Found an EXCELLENT replacement (used) unit and put new grease, lube, gaskets, etc. in it. Also had to replace the exhaust bellows as they were cracked.

-Purchased new prop as the old one was probably the original and in rough shape.

-Head Gasket blown between 2nd & 3rd. Through diagnosis of that issue, I purchased a fuel cleaning agent (Sea Foam), 4 new spark plugs with cables, checked/cleaned fuel filter and purchased a compression testing device. I took it to the repair shop as I didn't have the tools, time, nor means to replace it myself. The repair shop replaced the gasket, changed the oil and oil filter and tested it on the water.

After I got it back from the head gasket repair, I have not taken the boat out at all. Now, keeping in mind that I've only had the boat running for about 2 hours since I purchased it (beginning of August), my questions on winterizing are the following:

-Can I omit changing the outdrive lube provided I check the level? (I still have some left from when I changed the drive unit in August in case it's low.)

-Can I safely omit changing the Oil/Filter considering the shop just did it in September and I have not run it since?

-I have a nearly empty tank of gas, and what's in there was treated with Sea Foam. Should I drain completely, or fill it up and put more stabalizers in it?

-Do I put environmentally safe anti-freeze in it, or do I just drain and clean thoroughly? (This seems to be a big debate no matter where I read.)

# 1...No need to change it, but you might want to crack open the drain with the drive level and just verify that there is no water in it. It will come out first. Then, top it off. And, store the boat with the drive down.

# 2...Yes

# 3...You're right. Several schools of thought. Personally, if you treated it with the proper ratio, I would leave it and fill it with fresh gas in the spring.

# 4...If you have closed cooling, which I think you do, you don't need to drain the coolant. Just test it to make sure it is the proper ratio for your climate. You do need to drain the heat exchanger tube. There is a petcock on the bottom toward the aft of the boat. Have you downloaded your manual from the Adults Only section? (#8) http://www.4shared.com/account/file/121929231/58a54283/MercruiserManual8.html