Spun hub or not?

olsenk514

Seaman
I have a 1988 50HP force and occassionally, I get a symptom that feels like a spun hub. What's weird is if I slow to idle and then go wot again, the problem sometimes dissapears...sometimes it doesn't

I'm not sure how to describe it, but it almost feels like i'm hitting pockets of air with the prop. The engine will rev very high until I back down and then it will "catch" again. Is it possible to have the prop slipping only randomly? or would a spun hub slip constantly until it's fixed?

Maybe it's cavitation/ventilation but i doubt it because it will happen when i'm cruising at WOT...

any help is appreciated

Kevin

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Spun hub or not?

east test ;)

use a sharpie marker or a screwdriver (if you want to scratch into the metal) and make a mark on the nut, hub and prop so they are all in line...... go boating (it can not be done in a barrel) and drive it. If it spils as you described then return to shore and look at your initial marks...... if they are not all still lined up then your hub is going (or gone).

Is this a "new" to you boat? Did this condition just start?

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Yes, it sounds like it could be prop spin. Do the test as suggested and see what happens to your marks. It is not usually very expensive to have a prop re-hubbed. Or if it is an aluminum prop, you might want to just buy another prop...

olsenk514

Seaman

Thanks guys...I bought the motor from someone last year, but it just started having this problem a couple weeks ago. I'll have to try the sharpie trick this week...I'll let you know how it turns out.

If it is a spun hub, i'll probably just get a whole new prop...this one's kind of nicked up anyways. Do the force outboards use mercury props? Or does force have their own setups?

Knightgang

Lieutenant

In '88, I am not sure. Either way, any prop sales outlet should b able to tell you...