1977 evinrude 70hp will not turn over - blown or what help?

stcrusin

Cadet
My 1977 evinrude 70hp was runing good just quit in lake. now starter kicks in to flywheel but will not turn over ? Problem blown or something in ignition, powerpack. selenoid please help!! steve

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1977 evinrude 70hp will not turn over - blown or what help?

So are you saying that the starter does not spin the flywheel? If that is the case, check your battery and all connections associated with it and the starter. It could be simply a corrosion problem.

If the motor does turn over as it used to but will not start, then start with the basics: compression test, spark test, getting fuel? In your post, you are leaning toward electrical so I would do a spark test first and then go from there.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Pull the plugs and see if it will turn over. Possible it coul dhave injested water and hydrolocked. This would be an extreme scenario, but is possible under the right conditions...

Otherwise, staart with the electrica basics, battery, starter, ignition control box and coils for spark, etc. Also, double check you fuel system to ensure you have not pinched the fuel line off somewhere and starved it out of fuel...

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

if in fact the starter will not spin the flywheel, I would first attempt to rotate the flywheel by hand. If it will not budge, pull the plugs and shoot a TON of pb blaster or something in there. If this is the case, sounds like motor got hot and seized. Hopefully not.
Please post if the flywheel moves but motor won't start or if the flywheel does not move at all.
I would not keep attempting the starter if it will not turn by hand, may break something and cause a larger problem.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

could be lowerunit ,see if prop spins

stcrusin

Cadet

Stcrusin : I really do appreciate all the replies and help. Starter engages but flywheel will not turn at all. Have not removed plugs yet to check will today. Do know when in neutral the prop turns free but when put in gear the prop will not turn the flywheel. Brand new battery just bought. Starter just engages up and down, clicking noise. Have not check inline fuse maybe it or soelinoid not sure. the motor was spitting and sputtering when it quit running in the lake. Overheated some what hot but not bad. Hope not blown. will try removing plugs see if I can turn flywheel. Just a month ago had cargs rebuild by boat dealership and said compression was good 130 on all cyclinders. ran good after that but this now has happened. Maybe it has siezed or something . Any response would be greatly appreciated. again thank you very much. new to this forum.
:steve

stcrusin

Cadet
1977 evinrude 70hp thought was blown but maybe not help

1977 evinrude 70hp thought was blown but maybe not help

Hello appreciate all the help and advice from folks. Pulled the plugs on my 70hp evinrude shot full of PB the flywheel turns good but when i kick the starter in the appendix goes up engages in flywheel but will not turn the motor over. Brand neww plastic gas cans, new fuel line from tank to motor and brand new battery.could it be soelonoid or something. Motor was running fine on lake before this then just started running rough and guiet, just had a certified mechanic before that clean @ rebuilt carbs, etc. this thing got me puzzled. please help or suggestions thank you very much.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1977 evinrude 70hp thought was blown but maybe not help

Re: 1977 evinrude 70hp thought was blown but maybe not help

Be sure all connections are clean and tight don't forget the ground side.
Will the starter spin the motor with the plugs out?If there is a puddle of pbblaster it won't turn over right.Let the starter spin the motor With gas line unhooked,plugs out to help clear the cylinders.See if the plugs look like there is water present.
They may appear a little rusty or droplets of water.Wouldn't hurt to do a compression test.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You have more than one problem. The engine turning over has nothing to do with whether it runs or not. Lets solve the turning over problem first. Did you charge that brand new battery before you installed it? If not, it may be discharged to the point where it can't spin the engine. Solenoids either work or they don't. If it is actually allowing the starter pinion gear (called a Bendix) to rise it is providing power to the starter. Again, make sure all of your battery cable connections are clean and tight. With the plugs out, try to turn the engine over by hand (turn the flywheel). It should turn relatively easy with the plugs out. Once you get the engine spinning on the starter, then go after the "why it quit part". Check for spark on all cylinders. Check fuel pump output. Is the vent open on the fuel tank. Those are just points for you to get started with and they are all free. Don't throw parts at the engine because it may be this or that. Diagnose - then fix. You also mentioned the engine overheated -- but not bad. Since the engine has no temp gauge, how do you know it "was not bad". Determine "why" it overheated. When was the impeller last replaced. How about the thermostat?

14ftgrumman

Chief Petty Officer

Fully charge your battery
Try turning motor over with starter with plugs out.
If it turns over, put plugs in and see if it rolls over with the starter.
Check to see if prop rotates by hand (make sure you are in neutral.)
Look at cyl head for burnt paint (sign of overheating).
Did any water come out when you rolled engine over?
If yu pull head, check piston tops for cleanliness (if it has been ingesting water for a while, a piston top and matching head will be fairly clean when compared to the rest (steam will remove carbon)

Through out the entire process of rolling engine witht he starter, keep battery charged. Doubt if starter solenoid if bendi gear is engaging flywheel,

stcrusin

Cadet

thabks for yout replies will try all suggestions and get back with you fine folks. thank you again. steve

stcrusin

Cadet

Yesterday, pull plugs out, replace battery terminals, cleaned all connections to starter. Motor turned over 2 or 3 times. then quit - starter would not turn over. barand new battery, dtc. Pendix seemed to hang in flywheel then all of a suddened next time turned key and selenoid just clicking. maybe starter will try jumper cable post to sarter to see or volt meter test. one person advise me the ground on the starter on nut on power pack housing be moved to mounting bolt of starter. Comments & suggestions very welcome.
Thanks steve