1969 Dilly Trailer w/ 1972 Newman tri-hull

jailermac

Cadet
I am working on a boat and trailer I got from a friend. I several questions. First, I need to repair some of the wood and carpeting on the trailer...how do I do that? I know I have to have the boat off to get to it, but how am I supposed to do that? The only time the boat is off is when it is in the water....and I can't very well park the boat and take all my tools to the lake to work on it. Am I supposed to find a way to jack up the boat...put it on something to hold it up...then drive the trailer out...how to I do that? Secondly, I have to register the boat and trailer...DMV says that they need to know the weight of the boat, trailer, and then both together. Once again, I know I can weigh the boat and trailer at a sand/dirt pit and use there scales, there in lies the other problem, what/where do I do with the boat while I get just the trailer weighed???? Then finally, I have already replaced the hitch, I got one that fit my ball and the old one was bent. I then rewired the lights. The next step so to speak is to sand all of rust off and find a way to prime and paint it. I also know that I will have to replace the jacklift also...I will get to that much later in

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

Catfishkoolaid

Recruit
Re: 1969 Dilly Trailer w/ 1972 Newman tri-hull

I just got a fixer-uper...1972 DILLY. 17ft. with a 115 Johnson outboard. I took all of the carpet off to see where I stood. I found some rotten wood on the passenger side. I started cutting and went through the hull. ItS about a 16 inch line. Obviously, I have to take it apart now. ( a step that I could have avoided ) How do I repair my mistake
..... P.S. everything else is in great shape by the way. Motor is rebuilt. Runs like a top. Help
:eek:

tboltmike

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1969 Dilly Trailer w/ 1972 Newman tri-hull

I have disconnected the trailer from the truck, tied the transom stern eyes to something solid. Then slowly pulled the trailer out from under the boat. the trailer can tilt up and allows the boat to slide to the ground. You can put old tires or styrofoam blocks under the boat to keep off the ground.

Luckily, I have an electric winch. used the winch to bring the trailer to the boat and to slide the boat back on the trailer.

Forgot to mention my trailer has rollers and it is a '75 Dilly and an Arrow Glass trihull.