I6 with the Torque of a 454?

launboy

Cadet
Just read an interesting article about modern two strokes, but the paragraph that really caught my eye was this one and specifically the last line:
The biggest, most complex and heaviest of the conceptual automotive two-strokes is Toyota?s design. The engine is basically one of the company?s dual-overhead cam, four-stroke engines converted to run a two-stroke cycle. The camshafts run at crankshaft speed and air is delivered to the intake valves through a supercharger. Fuel is added through a high-pressure, direct-injection system. An in-line, six cylinder, 244 cubic-inch version of this engine is said to produce torque equal to GM?s 454 V8.

Link: Above Article

The last three paragraphs of this article explain the design a bit better.
Link:Other Article

This seems like it has great potential as a motor for an I/O. It's got the weight of a Six cylinder engine with the Torque of a 454 V8. Sounds like the perfect motor, great torque and light weight would give you a fast boat with great Hole Shot.

Adam

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Re: I6 with the Torque of a 454?

That first article isn't really dated, but the 2nd article's almost 20 years old! I wonder if anything ever really came of the idea, or if it just went away all by it's lonesome self.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Guarantee it was shelved as cost prohibitive to manufacture.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It really doesn't make sense to compare one engine configuration to another engine displacement.

Try "244ci making the same torque as 454ci" or "4 liters vs 7.44 liters".

Even that is misleading, because pumping volume and rpm are not mentioned.

For example, A 100% scavenged 4 liter 2 stroke turning at 3000 rpm with 15 inches of supercharger boost will be pumping 24,000 liters of fuel/air mix per minute. That is more than twice the volume of a 100% scavenged 7.44 liter 4 stroke turning the same rpm. (11,164 liters).

Just taking those numbers at face value, the 244 ci engine of any number of cylinders in any arrangement should be making twice the torque of the 454 ci engine of any cylinder number and arrangement.

Of course, the 4 liter engine is probably not scavenged 100%. I haven't been able to visualize the valve operation to convert a 4 stroke to a 2 stroke, even with 15" of boost and DFI.

j_martin

Admiral

There were several supercharged 2 stroke truck engines made. They are noisy and smoky, but they make horses. It's the noise and smoke that killed the projects.

When the English came out with the full stroke injectors, it greatly relieved the strength requirements needed to take the bang of a short stroke of fuel injection. It also greatly extended the torque band and limits the rock crusher noise. It also enables lighter weight engines.

As high voltage electronic injection matures, you will see diesel engines run as smoothly and quietly as gasoline engines, with much greater fuel economy.

Just an old observers 02
John

TilliamWe

Banned

There were several supercharged 2 stroke truck engines made. They are noisy and smoky, but they make horses. It's the noise and smoke that killed the projects.

Yep, most notably Detroit Diesels. The last generation of them were 736cid producing 475hp. Which is pretty good hp-to-cid in a heavy duty diesel.
Unfortunately, they always leaked oil out the airbox drains, were prone to cracking heads, and got about 4.5mpg, when Detroit's modern Series 60 4 stroke diesel developed 450hp from about 750cid and got 7mpg!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, I do know that Ford and Daimler Benz are developing engines based in part on the technology described and their current engines offer parts of that technology as well.

bandit86

Banned

an iron inline 6 is as heavy as a 454 anyways. i had a 4.0 jeep and took 4 of us to lift i vs the 3 of us into the same van my 425 olds.

alumi numb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Of course, the 4 liter engine is probably not scavenged 100%. I haven't been able to visualize the valve operation to convert a 4 stroke to a 2 stroke, even with 15" of boost and DFI.[/QUOTE]

normal 2 strokers open exhaust first closing last for scavenging.
thinking e chamber is a whole nother story.
pressurizing the engine i think you would want exhaust closed first sealing the chamber.
this would allow stuffing before intake closing.
now throw a turbo on it feeding the blower!
no need to worry about preignition, it's direct injection.
just as in diesel the gas injection event would be timing, pressure, duration.
f/a ratio has no meaning now, you can pump air in there till the head blows off if you want.
love my high torque I6, 04.5 dodge cummins dcab two w/d, 6 speed "hillbilly hotrod".